Large Compressor Recommendations

1. Leecapri83 Member

We currently have a 7.5KW Motivair compressor that is only 5 years old and has given us nothing but problems. I am now hearing these are just a rebadged cheap foreign make.
    Can anyone recommend a make they have found reliable, we are now looking at 10 - 12.5KW size wise.
    Thanks

2. carbon

carbon Member

Only experience I have had has been with piston pumps both of the compressors I’ve had have abac pumps with aluminium pumps and had no issues with either. One was approx 12 cfm fad and the one I use now has a 5.5kw motor with over 24 cfm fad second one was purchased s/h possibly 3years ago as I needed more air rather than a fault with the first one.

3. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Hydrovane screw compressor and a large tank

Probably expensive but almost bullet proof if well maintained

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. StevenHill New Member

Hydrovane HV11. Good machine easy to use and service.

5. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    A mate of mine runs a spray shop - he has an Ingersol Rand direct drive V twin - about 30cfm. Valves have finally gone so needs an overhaul - but it has been in daily use for 30 years!

Parm likes this.
  6. johnser

johnser Member

If you're interested in a big old one, I've a 15hp watercooled broomwade here that's too big for my needs. Won't be the performance of a hydrovane or similar modern variety but it's a sturdy old beast that'll go on for donkeys. PM me for details if of any interest at all, don't want a lot for it.

fizzy likes this.
  7. brightspark

brightspark Member

hydro vane is what it says vanes a screw pump is 2 interlocking screws :)just saying :laughing:

Parm and Woody.v8 like this.
  8. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

I stand corrected, what do I know about compressors

brightspark and fizzy like this.
  9. premmington

premmington Member

+1 for the above - A Hydrovane is completely different animal to a double screw compressor.

It is said: "the vanes in a Hydrovane wear in over time and the screws in a screw compressor wear out over time".

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    fizzy likes this.
  10. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Hydrovanes are lovely but output limited for their size. Quiet though!

11. premmington

premmington Member

The vanes in a hydrovane are in oil - the air is mixed with oil - in the rota with the vanes - then it goes thru an oil seperator.

See this link...

http://www.remmington.info/Hydrovane.htm

12. winchman

winchman Member

Have a good look at running costs.
    In my expreriance, HPC, Hydrovane Atlas Copco, basically the bigger brands but we are using larger machines, the only small ones I have dealt with where old Hydrovanes and gave no trouble

13. premmington

premmington Member

+1 for above. I have had as workshop compressors - several screw compressors - one Atlas Copco unit we had - had to have a complete airhead rebuild at two years old - even thou it had low hours on it.

14. Anthony Spencer

Anthony Spencer Member

Late to the party but for what it is worth I have a Hydrovane 15 single phase unit which does all I ever need.
    It powers impact wrenches, and other air tools with no problem.
    Also consider the size of the air receiver the bigger the receiver the more air you have stored.

I have had a lot of experience with Atlas Copco (worked for local Atlas Copco distributor) unit,s both the direct drive piston unit and the screw compressors. One problem with the early GA111-115 was getting the belt to run correctly. Later models were V belt driven which solved the problem.

Advertisements