Kemppi minarc evo tig 200 high frequency problems

1. Salvatore Prestianni Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how to diagnose a high frequency issue with kemppi evo minarc tig 200. It doesn't spark when the foot pedal is activated. Does it need a kemppi torch for the hf to work. Any diagrams of the location of the hf board would be appreciated. Regards sam

2. Richard.

Richard. Member

Is it very weak and inconsistent or is it simply no hf at all. No buzzing sound no nothing?

3. Salvatore Prestianni Member

Hi Richard, slight buzzing sound when the foot pedal is pressed. Lift arc works fine. I have an after market tig torch. Maybe it needs the original kemppi tig torch to activate/ switch on the hf spark. I could make a switch and connect to the other seven pin connector to test. Rgds sam

4. Richard.

Richard. Member

If there is a buzzing sound and the lift arc/gas solenoid works then I would almost say it’s got nothing to do with the switch.
    I reckon you might have some bad hf leakage somewhere and yes the torch is a good place to start.

5. Chris199 New Member

Hi Sam I am wondering if you found a solution to your problem as I am cure rly having the same issue with my miniarc tig evo 200 I’m using a parweld torch and wondering if that has anything to do with it not firing on HF

6. Jim Davey

Jim Davey RH Davey Welding Supplies

Make sure the torch is in the negative socket, not the positive. Easy to make that mistake. If that’s not it then look for a short circuit in the welding terminals taking the HF to ground instead of the torch.

7. Gazello Member

I think Kemppi only gives out the hf at the combined 1/4 inch gas /current outlet , and not to the negative connector, too . It’s for stick welding only so lift arc works , you need a 1/4 torch connector

Don’t try to connect the hf to the 13mm bayonett connector it will break something !

8. Chris199 New Member

Hi guys thank you for your quick reply’s, yeah the torch is set up into the negative terminal and earth in the positive I also have the gas set up thro a 1/4 adapter which is what I think you are talking about gazello ? Like the one in this link, I’m starting to wonder if it is the parweld torch I am using maybe it needs to be a genuine Kemppi one ? https://www.weldequip.com/products/tig-torch-adaptor_2-large.jpg

9. Jim Davey

Sounds like the power cable may need a 1/4-3/8 BSP adaptor if the Hf is linked to the gas outlet and not the negative terminal as is commonly found on Tig sets.

10. Chris199 New Member

Hi jim, sorry for sounding a bit stupid here but this is all fairly new to me, Emm so my power cable at the momment is combined in the gas line of my torch or so I believe so it is connected in the negative port on the welder with that adaptor I have put in the link and the gas line off that to the gas outlet, also the electrical plug from the torch is in the socket marked tig torch, and my earth is in the positive slot. So where do I need to add a 1/4-3/8 bsp adaptor ? Again sorry for sounding like a total noob but I am very new to this

11. Gazello Member

Jim you tell him Iam too dumb to explain

12. Richard.

Richard. Member

Jim The tig torch on a kemppi is connected to the 1/4 bsp gas/power connection.
    This there for this must be the negative terminal in tig mode and there for HF must be channelled through this.

13. Chris199 New Member

Hi Richard does it sound like I have done the correct thing then ?or am I possibly missing something from the system,

14. Richard.

Richard. Member

Chris this is one machine design where I believe you don’t need a dinse socket on your tig torch.
    A gas cooled off the shelf tig torch will come with a standard 3/8 bsp female fitting. You simply need a step down adapter 3/8-1/4 bsp and the torch connects straight to the thread. Work return into + and the negative dinse remains unconnected until you want to do MMA welding.

Chris199 likes this.
  15. Richard.

Richard. Member

A picture makes things easier
    BB2BD1D1-3DBA-418C-9691-3FF922467698.jpeg
    Red- 1/4bsp power/gas for your tig torch
    Blue- work return
    Green- torch switch
    Yellow- pedal
    Black- work return for DC+ Polarity (MMA)

Chris199 likes this.
  16. Chris199 New Member

Ahhh ok I will disconnect from the - dinse and just plug the torch straight into the gas and see what happens, I mean it was welding superb the way I had it but just hf not working, thank you very much for your help Richard I will try give this a go tomorro and will let you know how I get on.

Picture tells a thousand words ha thanks again, I see where I have gone wrong now, I’m sure I will get there in the end haha

17. Jim Davey

That’s the point I was trying to get across too.

Richard. likes this.
  18. Chris199 New Member

Thanks guys been and tried like you’ve said and all good hf working a treat and much much easier to start, first lesson learned many more to come haha

19. Richard.

Richard. Member

No problem Chris
    What would help you out more and quicker mate is if you put up photos of exactly how you have things set up and you’d of had that sorted on the second post. :thumbup:

Chris199 likes this.
  20. Chris199 New Member

Yeah will do next time Richard:laughing:

Advertisements