KEMPPI Kempotig AC/DC 250. What do all them switches do?

1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    So I finally got this monster going after a fair few problems with wiring it up and giving it a decent service.

[​IMG]

There was a phenomenal amount of gunk in the water tank and it had blown a fusible link in the water line which didn't save one torch (the best one) which also appears to have blown.

Here's the front panel with my best guess as to what all the switches and knobs do:

[​IMG]

Some of them I am fairly sure about but some are either guesses or unknowns. I melted a fair few electrodes before I got to this stage:

[​IMG]

...and now it seems to be working (with the settings as per the photo) I'd like to know exactly how the switches and knobs work. My big confusion currently is how the foot pedal overrides or works with the master current level set on the big knob. It does seem to change so even if the master control is set to say 75/85 amps, putting my foot down on the pedal appears to override that.

On the back of the pedal the low level is set to 1 and the high level 10 but does that map to the level set on the master current control or is it pro-rata, depending on where the master level is set?

If anyone knows for sure what all those settings and hieroglyphs mean, I would be most grateful for a translation!

Oh and if anyone has a manual in english I'd be more than grateful.

Thanks

Screwdriver.

2. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

S4 could be 2T (up) & 4T (down)?

addjunkie likes this.
  3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    What's 2T and 4T?

OK got it. It's for when I use a torch switch.

...but I'm quite keen to learn how to use the foot pedal so I won't be using that too much. Thanks.

4. Pete.

Pete. Member

2T you hold the button down for power, 4T you use it like a pull-cord light switch.

addjunkie likes this.
  5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Yes thanks even the graphic seems to make sense. What about the other switches/knobs?

S.

6. hotrodder Member

SE England
    There's been a few threads about these machines over the years, searching the forum for kempotig will find 'em. My take on what the switches do is here http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-settings-for-aluminium.9075/page-2#post-128513 albeit based on a poor pic so for clarity

Knobs
    1. multifunction/master current
    2, 3, 4 & 5 as you say
    6 is AC balance, 0 is 'balanced' turning it to the right increases EP (electrode +ve) for more 'cleaning' turning it left increases EN which puts more heat into the work and reduces 'cleaning'

Switches
    s1 i'm not positive about but suspect that it's used in conjunction with s2 for setting pulse parameters as well as main welding current/max current available with a pedal. There's several LEDs scattered about the panel which should light up to indicate which parameter knob 1 will adjust as you play with s1 and s2
    s2 (if i'm right) is pulse on/off
    s3 is HF on/off
    s4 as said 2T/4T
    s5 as said TIG/MMA
    s6 is polarity, up is EP which is pretty much useless in TIG as it'll just melt the tungsten. Middle is EN, down is AC
    s7 i'm not sure about but appears to be related to stick/MMA only, i suspect it's for use with a remote amperage control i.e. set the polarity and then use the remote box to tweak amperages instead of having to walk back to the machine

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Thanks hot rod. Food for thought. I'll try them all again tomorrow and post results.

S.

8. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

If you are using a pedal or remote you need the switch set to 2T, on mine you do anyway. There's a manual in several languages showing the front panel here

Screwdriver likes this.
  9. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Awesome, thanks.

10. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

If using the foot pedal you want to have your start amps on 0, your up - slope on 0, down-slope on 0, and your post flow to probably 3 or 4 seconds for aluminium.

As said for the foot pedal you need to be set to 2.

Your AC balance (knob 6) is probably about right where it is for clean ally sheet. That's the main one you will want to play with for aluminium to get the balance between cleaning and heat input.

I would have said switch 7 is stick welding polarity, some rods like to be run on dc some on AC.

11. TRD New Member

Hello.

I appologize for my very Bad english writting.

There is a small mistake. Alone, the Kempotig 250 AC-DC is no able to delivrer pulsed current.
    But it IS able to delivrer 2 different levels of current.

When this option is choosen by the small switch S2 the main knob is used for the high level and the small one (number 2) is used for adjusting the low level. The low level is a percentage if the high level.

The torch switch has two functions. If it is pressed for more than 0.7 second, it stop the. current After thé choosen slope. But if it is pressed for less than 0.7 second the current is reduced, until the Switch IS pressed another Time for less than 0.7 second.

By this mean, it is possible to temporary reduce the current even if you do not have the foot pedal.

But it's not pulsed current.

More information here :

https://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/
    Keyword :
    Kemppi

Screwdriver likes this.
  12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Merci beaucoup, c'est très intéressant.

Advertisements