K Seal

1. Browser Happiness is an even fillet.

Have any of you had any experience with this stuff? My son's '06-plate Citroen C3 has a coolant leak, from the rear of the engine, and from what I can see with it running and having looked at Citroen forums it's one of the corrugated hoses which runs from the water pump to the fuel heater ( I think) and back. https://citroenc3owners.com/questio...troen-c3-f11/coolant-leak-need-help-t791.html You can see the pipes on a drawing about half-way down this post. They are right behind the engine, and the engine bay is as cramped as a cramped thing, so I thought I'd see if there was another way we could try first.
    I presume this is the same sort of stuff as Barrs Leaks, which my late father always viewed as a bodgers solution, but if it works and saves us having to do the sweary two-step, all the better!

2. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Much like your father said, it's a bodgers solution, it might be a get-you-home fix, but does more damage than good. Frankly nobody really needs a get-you-home solution these days with mobile phones, I don't know how they still manage to shift the crap.

Parm, 123hotchef and Matrixx like this.
  3. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I recently used some in my van after it got peppered with gravel on the motorway.
    The Rad had about half a dozen leaks in it! on a Friday as well :(
    Boshed a pot of K seal in and all but one leak stopped, good enough to drive home then back to the yard on Monday. Had to keep filling it with water though.
    I doubt it will seal a flexible pipe to be honest.

123hotchef likes this.
  4. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    id only use it in desperation to get home or if its getting scrapped soon , chances are the heater matrix will clog up and god knows what else

5. Kayos

Kayos Member

My dad is a fan of wonder stuff you add to engines

It’s usually my sisters cars and always me that has to fix it properly afterwards

Parm and dobbslc like this.
  6. Migmac

Migmac Member

These new fangled recipes, what’s wrong with an egg? :whistle:

Maker and Hopefuldave like this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I had a leak on the heater matrix in the Berlingo and it is a pig of a job needing the dash out so I thought stick some K seal in till I feel like doing it. That was 3 years ago and I still don't feel like doing it but it stopped the leak and has not altered the performance of the heater.

slim_boy_fat and zx9 like this.
  8. Dcal Forum Supporter

I have a mate, who is a farmer and one of his tractors had a crack in the block - why would he waste money on antifreeze?

Anyway he put an egg in it the radiator to stop the leak. That didn't work so he tried another which worked a bit so he added another which stopped the leak. I'm not sure of the exact number but I suspect he used more than three.
    Great job he thought, job done.
    Unfortunately the tractor seized solid shortly after.
    He asked me to have a look and when we took it apart found out why the leak had stopped, there was an omelet in the waterways, I couldn't understand what it was and it took a bit of questioning to get the cause out of him - ended up scraping it.

jerrytug and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. winchman Member

My Bongo was loosing water two weeks before a Cornwall trip! But I couldn't find it.
    After talking to the local motor factors he said he sold loads of K seal and never had an issue.
    I stuck it in, took it for a good run as per the instructions, sold it a year later with no issues, heaters worked etc, engine ran at the correct temp, I am certain of this as mine had an electronic temp gauge as Bongo ones are rubbish.
    But if its a hose I don't think it would do it?

10. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Years ago a neighbour of ours had a leak on his car radiator and had heard you can seal it with an egg white so he separated one out and poured it in the radiator. We laughed as we watched it cook, probably best to add it to a cold radiator. :D

11. dannyp Member

Inner tube patches, rubber vulcanising solution and gaffer tape fix rubber hoses. Supriseingly effectivly So effectivly I’ve not swapped the hose for the new one on the shelf for about 6 months now

jerrytug and 123hotchef like this.
  12. Bill Edwards Member

Did the daft sod put the yolk in as well...?

123hotchef likes this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Or porridge. ;)

14. Dcal Forum Supporter

Yep,
    I wouldn't be surprised if he put the shells in it too.

jerrytug likes this.
  15. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Not much good if the engine bay is so tight you can't get at them though ;)

If you can get at them, silicone self-amalgamating tape will do a temporary patch up that'll probably stay on for years if done right :D

16. jsf55

jsf55 Member

I used it on a cracked v8 block, never gave me any problems, I think a metal hose would be too flexible to work, use amalgamating tape as a temporary fix

17. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    It's no going to seal anything flexible. AA (or RAC, I forget which) shoved a bottle into my k-series powered Caterham when it did the expected letting out of the water at 35,000 miles on the way to work. Slowed leak on the elastomer around the edge of the block enough to get me home, but no way anything more.

18. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

surrey
    A mate had a leak from a big block chrsyler and an indian who parked in the same car park
    saw him and mumbled something like "I will be back" and came back a few
    minutes later with a cup full of something and wanted to chuck it in the rad. My mate let
    him. The indians daughter told us it was egg and curry powder. It sealed for a few days.

jerrytug likes this.
  19. owas

owas Member

i had a leak from a core plug on a disco i needed to drive for a few days before stripping it for parts and it stopped it.

i would never use it in a car i cared about.

Advertisements