Just my luck. :(

1. ukracer Forum Supporter

I have a heat press my son was given to see if it could be fixed cheap enough.
    That was mechanically....... It was a bit if a mess as I don't think the cheap Chinese bolts etc could hold up to the not quite perfect design and the forces that was causing.
    Anyway if I can get it working it would be fine for a backup as it's one of the best built cheap Chinese presses I have seen.

The part I need to test is this. IMG_20201120_210023.jpg

But it's not metering as I would expect it.

I seem to be getting OC when I test the 24 to 380 side.
    And I get very little from the 3 to 32 side, other than a flicker on the meter that seems to indicate that side is not OC but certainly not complete continuity.

That said I don't know how these new fangled relays are supposed to meter out. Lol

2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I'm confused - that's what I'd expect, given that the internals are likely to be a mosfet / triac switch.
    Have you tried just applying +12V to the input and see whether the output goes closed-circuit?

Anguz likes this.
  3. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Stick your 3 to 32 volts in and the other two terminals should close. You may find that you won't detect it with just a multimeter. Better to have a power source in series with a lamp.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. m_c Member

You'll need to test it in circuit and under load.

ukracer and Hopefuldave like this.
  5. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Good point re likely needing a load :thumbup:

daleyd likes this.
  6. ukracer Forum Supporter

Well in that case I have tested it...and it don't work. Lol
    But I guess I had better go and check I have something on the 32 volt side or it won't work.

7. daleyd

daleyd Member

It needs a dc signal on the input side and an ac voltage on the output side as said above.

You won’t get a meaningful reading on a meter if measuring resistance alone on the output side, unlike a “normal” mechanical relay.

ukracer likes this.
  8. daleyd

daleyd Member

For a load you can stick an incandescent lightbulb in series, doesn’t need to be anything fancy.
    I’ve tested 500a thyristor stacks with a lightbulb, all you need is something to pull a bit of current.

skotl and ukracer like this.
  9. ukracer Forum Supporter

Yeah I sort of guessed it might be like that. Confirmed by the replies on here...in the meantime I purchased one of eBay. Lol

Then found it's got a very obscure operating panel that does follow convention. I still don't know how to see how it's reached pressing temperature.
    Anyway thanks guys. Just need to find a manual for the press now. Wish me luck. ;) Oh and I need to find some slides as the balls have all fallen out of the ones fitted. Lol

daleyd likes this.
Advertisements