Just got given a clark 100e

1. lovewelding76 New Member

hi

I have always wanted to learn how to weld, I am a complete novice, and a good friend has just given me his old welder a clark mig 100e

very rusty but still works, pics ...

Would I need to replace the nozzle and torch and clamp?

Can I use Gasless Flux Cored Mig Wire with this setup?

Is it possible to connect a large gas tank to this rather than the tiny ones it comes with?

I only really want to be able to weld tube steel, nothing to heavy, would this do for the job?

Thank for reading my post

Regards

2. lovewelding76 New Member

This is only for me to mess about with / learn on before I buy a more professional model... any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated, thank you

3. bourbon Member

according to the Amazon page on this welder, It is gas only. Very generous of your Mate. Same page says it's £330!!

lovewelding76 likes this.
  4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

it might switch on but cant tell if rest works

bin the wire reel
    bin the end bit inside shroud bin the feed wire insert and bin the gas bottles

you need new liners for the mig welder you can get these at machine mart ebay buy both wire liner and tip line ralso need new copper tips
    disposable gas well you could try those old bottles but wont be much good now

buy new or use a contract gas but first

you need to take off the above turn the machine on test the wire motor by pulling the trigger thats just the basics from there its buy new liners and then fit them test the new wire reel in the machine and then buy some gas for it you can sort of test a preweld wthout gas but nt a good thing

another way buy some gasless wire reel and test the moto and its welding capacity

lovewelding76 and 123hotchef like this.
  5. johnser

johnser Member

I started out on an old Clarke in similar condition. It took a lot of abuse without dying. I don't know what the 100 will comfortably weld up to, 3mm?

As you have it though, you may as well crack on and have a play and see how it goes.

Gas wise, you can attach different bottles but you'll need different regulators to suit the different bottles. A cheap way to start is using an old CO2 fire extinguisher. It won't weld so well as proper gas but should let you get going if you need to minimise costs.

lovewelding76 and gaz1 like this.
  6. lovewelding76 New Member

Yeah he is a good friend, he has many rigs..... very kind indeed....... maybe it was worth that a while ago, but i don't think its worth that now... its a bit past it but good enough for me... :)

7. lovewelding76 New Member

Thank you for a detailed response, on your advice I just ordered some new liners, new tips and disposable gas bottle and nozzles. I have already got a new wire reel :)

wire motor works, i don't know if its fast enough or feeding at the right speed, but its working and changes speed when i turn the dial...

i should record a video showing it working...

if its not meant to use gasless wire then ill just use normal wire and gas bottles...

ill keep on posting my progress with it and hopefully i get it working and be able to weld stuff!!!! *im excited*

kind regards

8. lovewelding76 New Member

awesome advice

i like the idea of using a fire extinguisher, I can just about afford new gas so i should be ok gas wise...

I hope it does weld 3 mm, that would be more than I need...

I will post progress as i get further on...

kind regards

9. Good luck! I hope it all goes well.:)

Advertisements