Just a few tweaks to get it running :-) ........got a bit carried away !!! XS650 Makeover

1. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Hello All,

Finally got round to starting a thread on my "quick" turnaround bike project that I find myself with......

I have been working on another bike build in another thread on this forum for the last couple of winters but got a little side tracked and started to lose my way a bit with it https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/anyone-for-cafe-here-we-go-again.68714/#post-906826
    So rather than rush things I decided towards the end of last Spring to put it on hold for a bit, and get a "runner" just to have a bit of fun on, in the long but forgotten Summer of 2018.

Always fancied a "tracker" style project so back in Feb last year, up popped a reasonably priced 1976 Yamaha XS650, from that not forgotten Summer of '76. It was a runner................back in 2015, the last time it was on the road :laughing:. So after convincing her indoors of the virtues of acquiring another "appreciating" classic..............well I appreciate it anyway. Off I went with the trailer to collect another.

I've been working on it for a few months since the end of spring last year, so I'll post some pics up just to start things off and pop in now and again with some the progress.................dumping a few hundred pics on the forum in one go will take more time than building the damn thing.....anyway on with the build.

As you can see it wasn't in too bad a condition, someone had made a decent job of a tracker custom job a few years back so unlike me previous builds I had a decent starting point. Quick look over, quick service and Id have the summer to ride it..........so I thought !!:whistle:

• IMG_2727.jpg
    • IMG-9122.jpg
    • IMG-9114.jpg
    • IMG-9107.jpg
    • IMG-9105.jpg
    • IMG-9102.jpg
    • IMG_8849.JPG
    • IMG_8848.JPG
    • IMG_8846.JPG
    • IMG_8842.JPG
    monky harris, 8ob, delta9 and 4 others like this.
  2. lchris21

lchris21 Member

First job was to get it running.....................errmm. It was two years previous according to the previous owner, but I could not start it!!! Quick investigation reavled a weak spark and lack of fuel. As i wanted something fairly relaible I invested in a contactless points system and set about fitting that, along with a quick look in the carbs:o

And no...........that is not a colour problem with the camera, they were literally green inside:whistle:
    IMG_8869.JPG IMG_8862.JPG IMG_8858.JPG IMG_8857.JPG IMG_8855.JPG IMG_8853.JPG IMG_8852.JPG

dobbslc, eLuSiVeMiTe and daleyd like this.
  3. lchris21

lchris21 Member

As I dug deeper and deeper under the skin It dawned on me this was'nt going to be a "quick" makeover:doh:

The wiring was atrocious and when I pulled off the clock mounting and saw it was made from an old road sign I knew this was about to get messy and..............expensive !!!:whistle:

IMG_8888.JPG IMG_8879.JPG IMG_8877.JPG IMG_8874.JPG IMG_8873.JPG IMG_8871.JPG IMG_8870.JPG IMG_8867.JPG

eLuSiVeMiTe, waddycall and daleyd like this.
  4. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Finally got it running.......bit rough but it was running :thumbup:..............

As Id already decided to get a little bit more involved than getting it running I did some research and started the usual Ebay trawl for bits and bobs.........first up was a rare hard to get hold of "how much!" DT400 tank. So threw that on along with GRP seat unit I fancied the look of.

The tank had seen some action in its previous life and looked like it had been run over by a bus :whistle:

IMG_8862.JPG IMG_8893.JPG IMG_8898.JPG IMG_8900.JPG IMG_8902.JPG IMG_8908.JPG IMG_8912.JPG IMG_8913.JPG

RedOrZed, Rannsachair, Kayos and 3 others like this.
  5. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Nice project.

Be worth it in the end.

lchris21 likes this.
  6. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

:thumbup::thumbup:

lchris21 likes this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I did a Divvy and the carbs were worse than that, all the jets had practically dissolved and they smelt like old gloss paint. I had to replace them completely.

dobbslc and lchris21 like this.
  8. Tifa

Tifa Member

Subscribed!

That exhaust wrap has got to go.
    (We all know the headers under that crap are rusty/dented/bodged/poorly welded don't we?)

Gwil and lchris21 like this.
  9. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

funny how thw quicky jobs just get outta hand.........nice one......
    1 good run in the sun, u'll forget all the probs........

lchris21 and addjunkie like this.
  10. pod70 Member

We've all been there. I have a few projects that were just going to get a quick tidy up. Great bikes the XS650 - had a hardtailed chop for a while (that was bought as a runner and ended up stripped & rebuilt once I discovered the various horrors such as threaded bar for the engine bolts, numerous stripped threads and the inevitable twisted together wiring loom)

lchris21 likes this.
  11. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Right, time to get the grinder fired up:o......as soon as this tool showed up I knew it was the point of no return:D.

The replacement seat GRP moulding did not quite sit on the frame where I like to off with the existing rear hoop

Next up for the "treatment" was the battery box, once Id fished out all the cables randomly taped and cable tied here and there...

Seat and tank now sitting at better positions on the frame :thumbup:

IMG_8876.JPG IMG_8878.JPG IMG_8890.JPG IMG_8893.JPG IMG_8900.JPG IMG_8901.JPG IMG_8903.JPG IMG_8922.JPG IMG_8924.JPG

12. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Next up was a quick mockup of the exhaust. Id decided to get an off the shelf set of headers from Delkevic and then use a random silencer I had lying around. The price of the headers was a fraction of the cost of buying mandrel bends, collectors etc, so went with with it. Only thing I dont like is the pressed collector. I'll probably tidy it up later by grinding off the seams and welding it flush.

IMG_8928.JPG

13. Kayos

Kayos Member

I love your threads, the keep a committed non biker interested

lchris21 likes this.
  14. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Needed to work out how to secure the seat unit to the frame and minimise the amount of fasteners required to hold it in place. Bit of angle with some slots cut out along with a pair of aluminium bobbins through the seat sorted it. The front is going to be secured with a thumb screw under the tank mounting bracket.
    IMG_8929.JPG IMG_8930.JPG IMG_8933.JPG IMG_8934.JPG IMG_8935.JPG IMG_8937.JPG IMG_8939.JPG

Farside, Exuptoy and dobbslc like this.
  15. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Back to the rear hoop Id cut off......

I needed somewhere to store all of the electrical bits and bobs along with trying to tie both sides of the rear frame together. Coupled with the fact I didn't want any bits of frame showing, so ordered some tube and managed to get a decent bend with my old Hilmor manual bender. Welded in place it gave me something to try and build a rear tray out of, whilst keeping things tucked away.

Made a nice little cardboard battery and set about trying to hide this. There are smaller batteries available but I had one there off a previous bike and decided to use that originally....but stumbled across another battery I had lying around so ended up making a Mk2 cardboard version at a later date....when the bike is on the ground it is hardly noticeable.

The year the bike was made it comes with both an electric and kick starter. So to save my skinny legs I decided to use the power of electrickery !!! :whistle:
    IMG_8948.JPG IMG_8949.JPG IMG_8950.JPG IMG_8952.JPG

16. lchris21

lchris21 Member

The other battery I picked needed somewhere to live so set about making a box I could attach it to the frame.
    IMG_8957.JPG IMG_8959.JPG IMG_8960.JPG IMG_8962.JPG IMG_8963.JPG IMG_8965.JPG

Exuptoy and Rannsachair like this.
  17. magicgrotto Member

Keep up the good work :)

18. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Back to the rear again, and hoop #2 :D

Thinking further ahead and wanting to loose the rear mudguard I knocked up another hoop, and again trying to hide it from side view managed to squeeze it in under the GRP seat moulding

All that work just for the starter solenoid and igniter :whistle:...........................which later ended up somewhere else :doh:

At least I had somewhere to hang the tail light :thumbup:
    IMG_8968.JPG IMG_8970.JPG IMG_8971.JPG IMG_8972.JPG IMG_8973.JPG IMG_8975.JPG IMG_8976.JPG IMG_8978.JPG IMG_8979.JPG IMG_8982.JPG

RedOrZed likes this.
  19. zx9

zx9 Member

I never thought of laying a battery down like that, I assume it must be a gel / glass mat type?

lchris21 likes this.
  20. lchris21

lchris21 Member

Back to the tank.................

As it was just sitting loosely on the frame I need to fix it in position whilst maintaining the lines I wanted, this meant sitting it as low as possible to the engine. Unfortunately the tunnel in the tank is a lot narrower than the original XS set up so I had to get creative.......

Cut the tank and give myself a lot of headaches welding it back up or just trim the enginge mounting bosses a tad?

There was plenty of meat on the head casting so knocked up my own spot facing tool from a bit of HSS and length of steel rod to machine the head in-situ...

IMG_8990.JPG IMG_8992.JPG IMG_8994.JPG IMG_8995.JPG IMG_8998.JPG IMG_9002.JPG

Exuptoy and zx9 like this.
Advertisements