Jacking up car??

1. bengyb Member

Hi All!
    I love this group and seeing everyone's projects!

Just about to start a little bit of welding on the wife's Citroën Berlingo, however I'm struggling to get it high enough to get comfortable underneath.

I've got sturdy axle stands, however they're still not high enough.

I was considering a stack of concrete blocks under the wheels, then having axle stands and a couple of jacks as back up.

What methods has anyone else used?

Cheers!

2. 130 Member

UK North West
    Big trolley Jack
    Stands
    Block of wood for extra height on jack (not needed since 24" lift
    Bigger stands
    Stacks of wheels as additional safety cell.

I have a load of 3"x3" about 18" long and would never builds towers from these and of course additional wheel stack safety supports, not supporting but under as a safety space as no one should ever do that.

Also I have some truck stands that start where low car stands leave off.

bengyb likes this.
  3. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

If i have had to work on a car long term i have always used blocks under the wheels,up to 3ft before today and made it a easy project...i have also jacked cars up on the body's and once i had an E46 beemer with its doors beginning to bind so i figured it was going out of shape:vsad: since then its always blocks under wheels long term.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. winchman

winchman Member

I have a massive pair of axle stands, bloke near me was killed when a car fell on him it was tragic, so best get it correct.
    Mine are a very old but nice set
    New ones
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-T...h=item4d473c032b:g:xbgAAOSwzLlXhisj:rk:1:pf:0

I also managed to find a nice high lift trolly jack for £30 a few years ago it was from a tool dealer who was sick of carting it about
    I find a bottle jack will lift it higher just take your time and be certain you are never under it whilst lifting.

Barlidge likes this.
  5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Depends what I'm doing to be honest....but I'd stay away from anything brittle like bricks or blocks....if they shatter it'll all go wrong in an instant with no notice.

I made up a pair of wooden wheel blocks which I like using....they were made out of new sleeper offcuts I had!

I have a pair of hydraulic ramps from cjautos which I use alot....they have a mechanical lock too which I think is important.

I have some offcuts of RSj which I also use too....in place of the traditional tyre under the car!

Also use a big heavy high lift jack....high enough lift to stick the car on the sleeper blocks.

My rule of thump is to have at least 2 things supporting the car just in case one fails....I also always jack up the car and then walk away and have a cuppa...if something is going to go wrong I figured give it 10 minutes to do it while I'm out of the way!

slim_boy_fat, jenki and stuvy like this.
  6. bengyb Member

What sort of blocks do you use?

7. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

solid concrete

bengyb likes this.
  8. james butler

james butler Member

stuvy and bengyb like this.
  9. bengyb Member

Thanks all!

I think I'll make up some wooden blocks, backed up by axle stand and a couple of jacks.

The car has sufficient ground clearance for me to crawl under when not jacked up as well, so it should be sufficiently safe.

roofman likes this.
  10. Ruffian Member

Old steel wheels work really well under the wheels, (welded together for extra height if needed.

slim_boy_fat, colnerov and bengyb like this.
  11. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I have a trolley jack that lifts the Berlingo high enough to put my ramps under the wheels back to front. It looks weird but it gives good access.

eil and bengyb like this.
  12. james butler

james butler Member

these are the steel ones i made

• IMG_0390[1].JPG
    Nick67GT, slim_boy_fat and bengyb like this.
  13. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Pop to a builders yard and pick up some untreated sleepers. Perfect for support and can spike em together if needed.
    15 quid or so for 100x200x2400mm

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

eLuSiVeMiTe.....thats exactly what mine are made of. I had some offcuts so just stuck some timberlok screws in up and job done. I like the fact that they are just solid wood...no points of failure!

15. mr haynes Member

Depends what you are welding. Too high and it's a stretch and strain when lying on your back or side. I done so much of this style of welding that i can't for the life of me run a decent bead on the bench!
    If it's a sill, only the side gets lifted, bootfloor then just the back wheels. Decent axle stands, leave jack in place as backup. Wheels off then they go under the sills. Ramps are good, any higher, again it's a stretch. Jack up a corner at a time and put under wheel.

Shedendman and chris pruteanu like this.
  16. chris pruteanu Member

As above, get a quality high lift jack and use decent axle stands... Dont improvise with bricks, blocks and the like although wheels under the sills will be a safety feature. I have done many cars like that...

17. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

My youth was in the days weekends was car fix days, it seemed everyone 18 and over was lying under a car fixing an exhaust, welding a floor or taking an engine out so I have seen many a near miss and some that didn't miss with sickening results.

My old fella hammered into me that..

Anything can fail.
    Any car off the ground can fall, tilt or move.
    Bricks can shatter.
    Heavy clean timber are good.
    Oil soaked sleepers are bad.
    If one item fails you had better have a back up that keeps you safe.

You can be under the best supported car and safe as houses until your daft mate drives up too fast showing off and knocks the car off the supports while you are under it...seen it happen.

18. postie jon Member

remember arriving at a lorry yard to see the 7.5ton flatbed sitting on the pit on 4 bottle jacks. :o

fizzy likes this.
  19. Wallace

Wallace Member

I have 14 axle stands of differing heights at last count and my Fathers homemade ramps. Sounds a bit over the top but they all get used regularly depending on the job but I do favour two sets for most work, the tallest and shortest. If you make anything (and I’m not suggesting you do) to go under the axle stands, increase the footprint in proportion to or in excess of the existing area to keep or improve the centre of gravity and tipping point. The safe way of improving height is a taller stand with a larger footprint. :thumbup:

Ashley Burton likes this.
  20. zx9

zx9 Member

Slightly off topic:
    When you do start welding under the car be sure to use protective clothing you don't want a blob of hot weld running down your selves or neck or even melting through your clothing, running down your chest and landing in your belly button!
    Smells much like bacon, all I will say is at was a Mk2 Capri and thirty years ago :whistle:

Advertisements