J&L drill press

1. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Bit impulse but it was local and I needed a bigger one.
    Says made in Taiwan Kennametal J&L - Very smooth quiet motor, everything works, just needs a bit of lube, anyone heard of them, any good? Paid £48 IMG_0320.jpg IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0326.jpg

rockweasel, Hopefuldave, zx9 and 3 others like this.
  2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

You grabbed a bargain there! :thumbup:

indy4x, rikrobson and Gragson like this.
  3. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

J&L are a tool supplier, Kennametal are one of the tool brands they advertise, I haven't used them for years and they seem to have been taken over by another company but the website looks the same.

Gragson likes this.
  4. brightspark

brightspark Member

looks substantial good speeds and a half decent motor and chuck size . bargain

Gragson likes this.
  5. winchman

winchman Member

Its genetic made in Taiwan one, I feel they are well made and very good value, we had one and sold it to Puffernutter, basically the same machine but sold under a different brand.

slim_boy_fat and Gragson like this.
  6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

As above, rebranded generic but of the better quality.

J an L Industrial supplies was the original company then Kennametal/Hertel bought them but the name remained. Kennametal then sold out J and L to MSC and the name changed but the Hertel name was part of the deal I think. The Hertel stuff MSC sell is definitely of an inferior quality to original Hertel stuff.

Gragson and Ali like this.
  7. Ali

Ali Member

I’ve got an identical one with APTC (Axminster Power Tool Centre) branding. Bit sloppy now due to abuse (by me), and due a rebuild.

Gragson likes this.
  8. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Been looking for Fobco, Meddings, Startrite etc - but the seller prices have wisend up - way up!
    Someones looked after this up until recently, the paint is great and just some surface oxide, cleaned up a bit, the chuck has come up fine, just wire wheeling the bare base and may do the table, but I doubt it :whistle: It is a solid bit of kit and all working - even the guard isn't broken, won't be long till I break that...
    Picked it up locally from an engineering place in Olney, really nice people.

I'm well chuffed with it. Especially for just under £50 :cool:

IMG_0327 (1).jpg

9. winchman

winchman Member

Excellent value shouldn't wear it out with home use, I think you should bolt it down that tape won't hold it.:scared:

10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

:clapping: :clapping:

Advertisements