Its arrived finally oxford 270-1

1. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

First question is 7 to 10 days really as long as 15 working days.....

So after much deliberation and further deliberation i ordered an oxford 270-1 was going to have a 240, but sometimes you just have to say WTF I want more.

So I ordered over the phone, from a reputable welding suplier requesting a 4 m torch, and 4 m earth lead. Couple of days the torch and regulator arrived, binzel and a decent enough regulator also the spare tips etc.

So after the 10 working days which as we know is over two weeks when your a kid at christmas passes. Was expecting an email or phine call re delivery. So chased up and vaugley promised thursday but no call back to confirm. Thursday morning calls again to see if its actually arriving. Promised a call back in 10 it never came. Friday rings again to find its been shipped with the wrong post code, and Id have to wait till Monday. Again it was me phoning as no call back. At each call and the time of order I stressed, there is a 12'6 low bridge...guess what....2 pm monday hello im fred bloggs xyz transport, we have a pallet for you. Is there a route to avoid the low bridge....I say errr yes two but one isnt suitable for hgvs and you cant get a swing in if you drive that way. The other way is through the forest and the local logging wagons dont use that route as its been neglected for years. So I agreed to meet the guy in the village eith my pick up the transfer the load. So the requested tail lift was now not going to help me at my end....quite irritating and the welding dealer now knows I wasnt happy.

So gets it home...manages to get it off the pickup on my own with a bad back, hence why I asked for a tail lift..packaging consisted a cling film wrap a second hand chinese cardboard box with a second cling film wrap, not surprising with tin boxes get bent and damaged. No damaged to this one thankfully.

First impressions....looks good, but paint or poweder coating looks a bit thin. All markings make, +, - etc are sticky labels. Coating so thin its actually worn through in on place where the not so substansial packaging was rubbed by the banding. Quality of metal work actually feels quite good. Wheels and bottle tray to be self assembled. 2 bolts missing from the bottle tray. Instruction book limited and a bit vague in places.

Choose this machine for the top loading having loaded my first 15 kg roll im not so sure now, but I will get used to it. Wire feed etc looks good quality, wire loaded, roller has 0.8 or 1m. This is a reverse polarity machine. At this price Id have expected a suitable roller too for gasless wire. But there isnt one. The requested 4m earth and torch..well the torch is 4 meters, but the earth only 3.

In this day and age of UK companies fighting to stay in buisness with all the imports that are getting bettter and better from the far east. All I can say is I hope the welder quality is better than their attention to detail with packaging and delivery.

So a few runs, its going to take a bit getting used to the two 4 position power settings, but nice and smooth, fan not quiet but again sounds quality.

Is it better than my old ERP machine...i bloody hope so, but only time will tell.

• IMG_1233.JPG
    • IMG_1235.JPG
    • IMG_1236.JPG
    • IMG_1237.JPG
    • IMG_1238.JPG
  2. Wallace

Wallace Member

I like that record player style layout and the lift lid, much better than the Portamig lift off side panel.

3. gaz1

gaz1 Member

id rather load it through the top myself than from the side though will admit those side panels may hinder fitting it

a couple of things also supply roller for gasless wire
    why supply it with 3m earth when 4m has been requested
    why do they still supply it with a 3 roller feed system when 4 is much better

a loverly machine but the case just looks like its been slapped together from another machine build the high sides would have been better cut down or shaped for easy fitting of the new 15kg roll

4. J1nx

J1nx Member

Wow, this post could of been written by me, I have had exactly the same experience! I received my 200-1 yesterday, ordered 18th of May.

Accessories arrived next day but welder was chased and chased, never once had a call returned even though it was promised every time. Infact I'm fairly sure my number was being ignored Friday afternoon, I was going to phone the bank this week and get a chargeback so lucky it arrived.

Mine unfortunately has some minor damage but due to the hassle of sending it back I can live with a small dent. A big shame I expected better service buying a UK product from UK suppliers. Mine also had fixings missing from the bottle tray and really would of liked just a couple extra washers for the rear axle.

On the plus side my first ever MIG welds I'm very happy with.

5. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Some continued owners feedback from both of you will be very appreciated by other members considering similar.

Shame you have not had good experiences with actual customer support, could possibly be another firm that believes they can thrive simply on a product name and don't have to work hard at pleasing the customer through the whole purchasing event, many other UK firms thought that and they no longer exist.

6. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    I bought my machine directly from Tecarc and the whole experience was very good. The MD gave me a tour of the factory and demotrated a very in depth technical knowledge of his products.
    The company is I suppose a bit old fashioned but I prefer that. Not many places exist where you can walk in without an appointment and ask for advice on a fault and have someone come and talk to you straight away.
    I have a Tigmaker 270 and can't fault it.

fizzy, hermetic and addjunkie like this.
  7. MoreWellie Forum Supporter

That is a shame as it taints the purchase

When I bought a 240-1 a few years ago from Welding Supplies Direct I was very pleased with both the pre and post sales service. It was also delivered in a substantial box on a pallet and inside the box the machine was surrounded by polystyrene blocks which provided good protection but did leave lots of polystyrene balls inside the case which hoovered out without any problem

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. BarrieJ

BarrieJ Member

Had exactly the same experience with a 270-1 some years ago, the box had 2 person lift all over it, it was dragged from the back of a Sprinter, no tail lift, by one guy and together we manhandled it onto our drive. Two dents to the metal casing but like you, lived with the dents to avoid the inevitable hassle.

Equally as disappointed with a UK product from a UK supplier, a quality product delivered on the cheap. Ruined the experience, I wish now I'd sent it back.

Had a 3 phase Migatronic 325 before it and couldn't fault the service I had from them.

9. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Had mine been dented, it would have been going back, only way companies who do supply poor service learn is from their pocket.

Though I was just having a whinge about my bad experience. Im obviously not alone. Perhaps Mr Tec Arc should become a member here, if hes not already.

The slogan of the 70s buy british be disappointed, by japanese you get rust and reliability....

10. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    If none of you complain and accept a dented machine how is Mr tecarc going to know his courier is carp and needs to change company.
    Apart from missing bolts all these problems seem to be down to the courier.

11. J1nx

J1nx Member

Yes the dent is annoying, however taking nearly a month to arrive I don't fancy waiting until July to start welding on the machine. I wasn't told of delivery, it just arrived so I was out and my good lady signed for the machine without checking internally (looked ok externally) so I'm not sure what can be done.

Here's the machine, dent on top left...

[​IMG]

12. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire

That would drive me crazy, no way could I live with that.
    I would give tecarc a call directly and email photos and proof of where you bought it.
    I'm sure they would sort it. Looks like all you would need is for them to send you out a new kid.

13. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

That looks to me like it has had another package dropped on it in transit!

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

should have rang firm up and told them it was dented took a picture and asked them to send u another case

15. J1nx

J1nx Member

Took your advice and spoke to the supply company, they have asked TA to send a replacement lid, fingers crossed :thumbup:

16. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Did you ever get a new lid.

Well an update after my issues recently. Not the machine in the end
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/me-or-the-machine.86284/

Ive not used this too much, but I will add on thin stuff try in the bottom of a dog cage, 0.5 mm thick. Power setting 1 17v / 20 amps ish, with 0.8 wire very smooth , and managed to run a 3 inch bead with out burning through, was expecting to have to stich weld it.

During my issues above I did ring Tec arc, for some pointers, I was quite impressed how helpful they were. But today I reviewed the instruction book again the section how to plug it in for gasless or with gas its very poorly written and no diagrams. But when re reading this, I learned that the smaller machines are semi synegetic for wire speed, but the biggers ones 270 and up are not, manual wire speed.

Now today my reason for the update, Ive been welding some 8mm and 12mm thick steel strips to box section with a 6 mm wall.

Had the machine flat out, 27v/270ampish wire speed at 9 and completed 8m in total of weld, spraying 1mm wire, as quickly as I could only stopping when my support hand was cooking. Didnt trip my c type breaker and didnt throw the thermal cut out. Very pleased the machine is still far better than the operator.

17. J1nx

J1nx Member

Nope, never arrived, gave up. Poor customer service, a company best avoided.

18. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Did you purchase from a dealer? I would be chasing them or go direct to Tecarc explaining your problem.
    I have had very good service direct from Tecarc. A couple of weeks ago the HF stopped working on my Tigmaker 270. I called them and spoke to Les and dropped it off for repair. The fault was fixed under warranty in less than 24 hours and I picked it up the following day.
    Can't ask for better service than that.

hermetic and arther dailey like this.
  19. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

20. J1nx

J1nx Member

I bought from forum dealer, welding supplies direct but they don’t keep stock, comes direct from Oxford. WSD chased Oxford.

If companies can’t be arsed to sort problems then the reputation they get as a result must not be a concern :dontknow:

Advertisements