Is this overpriced?

1. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

2. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    That’s a weird one to answer
    I’d say it’s worth £7k If you was to buy a good student and track down the attachments it could owe that much but it’s market value is half that.

ronan, zx9, mtt.tr and 2 others like this.
  3. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Heck of a bit of kit, though!

4. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

My thoughts aswell, if you want the bits that are included bot bad value

5. pressbrake1

essex england
    On looking at it a bit better there looks like a lot of stuff with it but theres no steadies no taper turning just the standard chucks and a burnerd collet chuck that has some value and a cheapo inverter nothing special
    Also see the rust damage on the bed where it has been left without drying off the coolant. Im guilty of doing that but that rust tells me the saddle lube isn’t working

Its not something Id even want but to put it in perspective his opening bid is 25x more than I paid for a immaculate Holbrook and more than 3x what I paid a dealer for a fully tooled dsg

skotl, Brad93, MBB and 2 others like this.
  6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Yeah I think I’m gonna stick with keeping my eyes open for a DSG.
    With steadies. That’s what I’m missing now and could use a fixed steady.

7. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

It has a fixed steady.
    I have both fixed and travelling steadies for the Triuph, can't ever recall using the travelling but I have used the fixed a few times. I suppose it all depends on what kind of work you do as to whether they will be handy or not but the fixed is definitely worth having.
    Not a huge fan of the newer Colchesters so I wouldn't be buying it anyway :D

ronan and Brad93 like this.
  8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

BTW I quite like the rack/pinion adaptation of the tailstock, would make drilling retraction nice and quick.

premmington, pressbrake1 and Brad93 like this.
  9. pressbrake1

essex england
    Couldnt the wood for the trees :ashamed:
    Still 3x value

10. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    I would not hand over cash before hearing it run. The clutch shaft and its gears are small to allow it to fit in the space available, meaning they have to run very fast, leading to wear, leading to noise (gear slap). Despite the gears having signs of induction heating, i have taken a file to one and the file bit into it easily. The headstock is not an oil bath as you would imagine, but the oil is pumped to the headstock from a tank in the base. The tank is awkward to get to and gets neglected, pumping dirty sludge around and around with dire results.

The apron has an oil tank built into it, and to lube the bed you pull out and release a plunger on the side. The issue is though people don't bother, and the apron will fill up with suds, leading to a horrible mixture of oil, water and coolant. When i cleaned mine out it was like playing in a sewer. Oh and the apron tank will leak.

The bed is a rapid wear item. Parts are so silly in price i am convinced they are either a wind-up or extortion (search ebay and see what i mean). The machines are soft, in that if they get an serious work, they go down hill rapidly.

Personally i would not touch a Colchester with the proverbial ten foot pole, especially as you are in the UK and there are plenty of better machines floating about, Colchesters are the British Leyland of lathes. look at Harrisons, which while still being part of the 600 Group, made better machines. Tos lathes are great, at least the older ones were, not so sure about the newer ones. American machines i would look at too, the Yanks made some seriously nice machine tools.

11. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    My old Colchester Triumph runs like new.
    Very quiet and very little wear.
    Less than half a thou run out.
    Very happy with it but a dsg would be nice.

ronan likes this.
  12. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Bet it is a roundhead ;)

Hopefuldave, ronan and bletchmonster like this.
  13. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Of course!
    Made in 1964 so older than me.
    Trouble is it is the perfect all rounder so how can I justify another lathe?:doh:

spencer 427 and ronan like this.
  14. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

But they were decent, the later ones as per the post (and the one I have) are not in the same league.

Hopefuldave, Brad93 and ronan like this.
  15. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    When I bought the round head I also bought a Triumph 2000. I paid £600 with loads of tooling. I just didn't have the space at the time. A bloke offered me £600 so I let it go. Kept all the tooling though.
    I didn't know much about lathes at the time but I noticed the carriage was tight in some places and loose in others. I am guessing the bed was pretty worn so maybe I did the right thing.

Hopefuldave, Brad93 and ronan like this.
  16. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

The beds are usually fine on the newer ones, it is the headstock gears that wear and get noisy, mine is really bad, I bought it from a farm that had no 3 phase so no way to hear. It was reasonably cheap so couldn't moan too much. I have fitted a servo motor and now bypass the spindle gears, it is a bit underpowered but does ok.

fizzy and ronan like this.
  17. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Here is mine, first running via the servo motor with spindle gears disengaged then with them engaged.

18. brightspark

brightspark Member

a well worn bed then and someones tightened it up to make it look unworn. best left well alone. if your paying big money it need to be right .wouldn't even bother on a cheap one if it was worn

fizzy and ronan like this.
  19. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

20. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    Shouldn't have to justify it. Get em just because.

fizzy and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements