Is this any good for a 1st attempt

1. shorter_alexander Member

Hi guys,

so I decided to buy a mig welder off eBay, I know not clever! I looked at so many and just got welder crazy and in a snap decision bought a synergic welder it’s a brand called magnum range from 20 upwards. I’m very much a newbie and this was my 1st attempt, could you guys give me some advice on what I’m doing wrong, what I’m doing right etc? I tried to do the thin metal technique discussed on this forum. It’s around 0.9 sheet metal. I will only be welding car body work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. Alex

• A6A312C6-A2D9-4FC9-ADC2-53ADE93ADC1B.jpeg
    • 667F0ECC-2CDF-4AAE-A80E-42066111F4B1.jpeg
    • 8CDC52C6-36EA-44B2-A540-BFE7EA395588.jpeg
    • 8881D6E0-73C4-4B6E-9669-5DBB824A2E64.jpeg
    • 0271B202-7F55-4E4E-AB3A-C3B3B0D783E1.jpeg
    • E7FB9983-088F-4DE0-BC18-DAC542145E22.jpeg
    barking mat likes this.
  2. tom2207 Member

well your off to a good start ,,, try getting some 2mm or 3mm to learn on , it will give you a chance to play and see whats actually going on , watch a few videos , either here or on you tube , Jody at welding tips and tricks turns out some great videos ,
    its all about
    Patience and Practice ,,,, we all had to learn non of us were born welders.
    main thing is to enjoy it.

mr haynes likes this.
  3. shorter_alexander Member

Thanks Tom. I wonder why there is so much spatter? Any tips on how I can improve them? Do you think the settings are ok?

4. tom2207 Member

probably too long an arc , and too shallow on torch angle , you only need about 12lpm or a bit less say 10 on your gas settings too , its all experiment , I would say start doing lap joints first , running beads isnt that interesting ,, slightly slower wire speed may help too , watch the puddle form rather than scooting over the surface , an hour spent watching Jodys welding tips and tricks videos will get you some great arc shots ,, but I really would get some thicker stuff to learn on , , 0.9 is like trying to paint a door with a toothbrush ,, you can do it , but its not where you start .. hth.

5. shorter_alexander Member

Amazing. Thanks very much! I’ll start watching now!

6. mr haynes Member

Agree, get a feel and understanding what is happening on something thicker.
    Thin stuff technique is a little different and can be demoralising when learning.
    Get the basics sorted then try thin, you'll understand what is happening and how to dial in your machine for usage :thumbup:

Advertisements