Inverter question.

1. 4String. Member

Folks.

My new ride doesn't have any mains power, and as winter is on it's way I'd like to get a microwave installed.

What size inverter would I need, input being 24 volts, to power a low wattage 700w microwave? I have a 2kw inverter at home which I had in a previous wagon and that was quite happy with either my kettle or my toaster, both 700 watts, but don't microwaves have a greater surge when they switch on? :dontknow:.

I've always been led to believe that an inverter should be at least twice the rating of the appliance, so am I safe with my 2kw? If I need a bigger one it's not a problem, but I'd rather use the one I have if possible. (And FWIW, it will be installed by the garage chaps and wired properly with a mega fuse.)

TIA as ever.

2. qwakers Member

thatll work fine,

3. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

It's the start up on electric motors, the starting currents, they don't like, should be fine, agree with @qwakers .

4. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

We run household fridges, and diesel fired central heating on our boats, all standard 220v house stuff, off 24 volts through a 2k sine wave, Cotek? Inverter, no probs.

We used to use these 'studer' but they were deemed unreliable.

This is my 'new' nearly a UPS, but it's not as there's at least a second before it kicks back in, I may have it configured wrongly.

But it works, we lost the leccy for 48 hours, last week following storms. 16025249916362601678072828152291.jpg 16025250230466225189058421052050.jpg

5. Justme

Justme Member

Microwaves are ratted at output power.

Roughly the input is double that.

Pure sine is better than modified.

Country Joe likes this.
  6. 4String. Member

Much thanks chaps.

Inverter hopefully being fitted this weekend, tea and toast for breakfast next week :thumbup:.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

It's very important to look after the 'inner man' :D

8. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I had the (vague-ish) idea that it had to be pure sine wave only, for a microwave.
    But I never did it, as the one I have (Victron Phoenix) would have been far too small, at only 375 watts @ 240v.

I'd probably live in the van, by now - if I could do any more than making tea in there!

All the Best,
    CJ

Advertisements