Ideas for handle

1. Hi guys, bought a used inch drive impact wrench but the handle is missing, need some ideas for a replacement.I have included photos of the actual gun and what it should look like, oh and the casing has been turned so the holes for the handle are on the side.Ideas i have had so far are patio door handle, spade handle or a petrol strimmer d handle although that might be too big, any ideas, cheers.

2. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    Are the threads in the holes useable?

3. chris pruteanu Member

I would say replicate the design of the original handle, make it out of 2 steel bends and a few pieces of tube welded together and drill the plate to suit the holes...Alternately you could look for a replacement handle on the web, many of them impact guns are generic and the design is copied among them !

4. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Just hang on for dear life, you don’t need a handle :scared:

As above though, metal plate drilled to suit with a couple of heavy bends welded to the top.

123hotchef and 8ob like this.
  5. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

A handle on a big nut gun in that position would be a royal pain, on things like truck wheel nuts it would always be getting in the way. A bracket off the back of the gun would make it a bit more user friendly.

Bob

6. MCKDAVID Member

make one out of steel, or if it's only for occasional use, could you adapt a drill handle, clamped on, something like this?

upload_2019-5-24_9-13-40.png

7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Drill a piece of plate to the four holes and weld a piece of bar to it sticking out sideways, it will be easier to use than a top handle.

MoreWellie and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

25mm flat off the top too nuts at the rear twisted through 90o and a bit of conduit/air pipe welded between the two, I did one once came in handy to hang it up too

9. Looked for a impact wrench handle and can't find any for sale, did think about the drill handle myself albeit with a plate on the gun, nut welded to it to screw into.Good idea with the two 90 degrees on a bar.

10. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Never used an impact gun with a side handle, Ditch the idea.

brightspark likes this.
  11. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I would say that handle look more intended for picking it up than something you hold on to while using.

12. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Probably why it’s missing in the first place

13. Think I might buy a couple of u bolts and weld them together or one large one like m18 and fix them to a plate to attach.

14. I can always remove it when required.

15. MoreWellie Member

rather than being a handle it could be an attach point for a tool balance spring

waddycall likes this.
  16. gordon stephenson

We hired in a 2-1/2" Ingersoll Rand impact gun on one occasion (and it had side handles) to try and undo some nuts in the power station. It needed a huge road going compressor and a 2" bore hose to run it, Unfortunately still not strong enough for the job,

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. brightspark

brightspark Member

I got a 1 inch drive ingersol rand impact wrench it has 3/4 bore hose on it with claw coupling. its impact so don't see the need for a handle and its not fitted with one or never was probably just easier to pick it up if it has one. that's about it

gordon stephenson likes this.
  18. gordon stephenson

Those 1" drive Ingesol Rand guns are the dogs danglies, they are all we used for all the normal stuff.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    brightspark likes this.
Advertisements