How much chainsaw safety gear do you wear?

1. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

For those of you who are non professional chainsaw users, eg homestead type users, how much safety equipment do you use?

Kevlar jacket? Trousers, boots, gloves, helmet or just a few of these things? Also, are the modern trousers not kevlar any more? I just took a look and the ones in Toolstation are just listed as made of poly.

2. cocker

cocker Member

Safety sandles and sunglasses for me .

fenman, Brad93, frank horton and 2 others like this.
  3. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    At least chaps and visor with brow guard Plus ear muffs

stuvy likes this.
  4. daedalusminos Member

Metal mesh chainsaw face shield with integral ear defenders ever since a sprung bow kicked the chainsaw into my face - the brake kicked in, stopped the chain but that didn't stop it cutting my nose!

stuvy likes this.
  5. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Also if you are unsure getting a short course. I can't stress how lethal they are in untrained hands. I don't mean that offensively.

stuvy likes this.
  6. julianf

julianf Member

Steelies, trousers, gloves, visor / helmet / ear defenders.

The trousers are horrible, don't fit me, half knackered, really hot, etc. But I still wear them.

Table saws and chain saws give me the fear way more than a whole load of other vicious tools.

sparkysy and stuvy like this.
  7. julianf

julianf Member

Re trousers -

Mine were given me by my brother (who does this kind of stuff for work)

They're a load of fluffy (did I mention they're hot?) white stuff inside. I'm sure they're supposed to string up and jam the cogs rather than be some sort of hard shield.

stuvy and Yamhon like this.
  8. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Leggings gloves lid with faceshield and ear defenders.

Decent boots.

Tested leggings once
    Saved my leg. Worth the pennies.

stuvy likes this.
  9. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Exactly that.
    Put a pair to the test. They work.

stuvy likes this.
  10. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Visor with brow guard and ear defenders. Pair of gloves if I’m feeling hungover.

Most of my stuff is wind fallen, so dragged out with a tractor and held down with the home made clamp.

I’ve got the boots and trousers, but most of the time is 25 degC outside when we get around to logging

stuvy likes this.
  11. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

So most of you aren't using jackets?

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Generally don't bother if its a quicky. Extra long shorts and sometimes I might pull up my socks.

Still got two legs so there's one good spare and at this time in my life, the last thing I want to die from is old age.

fenman and cocker like this.
  13. steviec_lj

No

stuvy likes this.
  14. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

The full Monty... because I have it from working

15. Yamhon New Member

From top to bottom; helmet with mesh visor (mesh doesn't steam up), hearing protection, chainsaw gloves, chainsaw over trousers - I tend to wear motorcycle jeans, as I had them already, boots.

I researched chainsaw safety before using one and was told those five items are what you need. Chainsaw safety even for just cutting fire wood is more than PPE though, it is about managing forces on the lumber you're cutting - more so when cutting limbs and felled trees - where to stand, how to stand, position of hands; so you activate the chain break before the blade reaches your head, etc. Also need to be aware of where the tip is at all times, as that is what will influence whether the saw will kick back or not.

stuvy and 8ob like this.
  16. steviec_lj

Draw a line between your nose and pecker, that’s where you want the Saw, apparently :dontknow:

A good chain, hand sharpened, will need little to no additional downforce to cut.

BarrieJ, Shox Dr, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  17. 8ob

8ob Member

Some sound advice in this thread, I have seen plenty of mishaps that I will leave to the imagination and all have been operator error.

Anyway aside of the obvious. Keep saws sharp and have a spare chain ready to go, leaning on or using a blunt saw is dangerous, keep underfoot clear of obstacles, invest in some aids like wedges, log turners and a log horse.Avoid working alone and make sure you know your location.

Bob

BarrieJ, Mick Annick, garethp and 4 others like this.
  18. MCKDAVID Member

you're absolutely right, and I think I can equate the "ooya Jabberwocky moments" that I've had to that. They've almost always been associated to the "ach it'll do that last cut, or I'm nearly done, I'll just finish it off", and forcing the saw accordingly, instead of taking that wee bit extra time to give stop and give the chain a wee tickle up.

As for gear, I'm not always the best advert for safety, but always boots, jeans, gloves, and ear defenders, no jackets and rarely full face protection (other than my glasses which are safety type anyway), unless it's a long job...

8ob likes this.
  19. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

s-l400.jpg

steviec_lj likes this.
  20. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

Steel toe cap boots, chain saw trousers, Ear defenders and goggles.

I also set up a stand of some sort to make refuelling easier.

Advertisements