How long can leave wire in welder ?

1. Markus19 Member

Hi guys finally just bought a new kemmpi min arc evo 200 came with a 5kg reel of wire can i ask how long can i leave the wire in the machine unused ? I dont do a load of welding and in my other gasless welder the wire used to get all white a frosted up

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2020
    barking mat likes this.
  2. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

It doesn't have a shelf life, but if it's somewhere damp it will rust, which is not good. Usually you can strip a layer or two off and find good wire beneath. Take it out and store it in a dry place if you don't often use it.

Memmeddu, metalmelt and tom2207 like this.
  3. tom2207 Member

Ok , Ill admit to doing this ,,, If I know I wont be at one of the places I weld for a while , I put a squirt of cooking oil / antispatter over the roll of wire in the welder to give it a chance of being ok when I do finally get back , not ideal , but it works.
    Steel wire , not alloy.

Memmeddu and jerrytug like this.
  4. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Or wrap it up in a dustbin bag when not in use, not worth the aggravation running corroded wire through a mig :vsad:

Bob

5. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Those Kemppi Minarc migs are small and light enough to be picked up and kept somewhere dry after being used, or follow the advice above.

Memmeddu, 8ob, jerrytug and 1 other person like this.
  6. nickk Forum Supporter

My welder in the exposed shed,has a light bulb inside ,left on 6 months a year,stopped all the condensation problems.

Cato, James1979, Memmeddu and 2 others like this.
  7. Liam567 Member

That's a very good Idea. What watt bulb is it

mike os and Guzrik like this.
  8. Guzrik Member

Mine is in an isolates box when not in use for few days.
    Just cheap board and polystyreen leftovers screwed together 30 years ago by my brother. Never any problems since.
    Like the ligthbulb thougth.

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. nickk Forum Supporter

11,I think,old equivalent will be a 60.

Memmeddu likes this.
  10. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

like nickk,
    11watt curly whurly's.....left on all year when in France....converted watermill......all machines got the same treatment eng. mchines as well as the wood mach....
    all wrapped in old Duvets n blanckets ..no more rust.....the Bridgeport and Colchester lathe used water based coolant....STILL no rust.....
    all the small elec tools went into a large metal cupboard which got 2 curly whurlly's but also had router bits and spindle blades inside.....
    seperate cupboard for the engineering tools but the same trick.......
    Now in a diif place and the winters are around 6 weeks long...yipeeeee...but will still use the same system.....thats untill the machine shop is built with underfloor heating......

Cost of electric is nowt compared to the hateful rust........
    oh
    the Wadkin machines with cast iron tables (used perhaps once per year in the end) got a coat of spray grease as well....

11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Congratulations on getting the Kemppi...I have the same machine and it's an excellent bit of kit....I usually stick to 0.8mm wire as that's what it seems to like best. Worth buying small spools of stainless and bronze brazing wire too as it's excellent at those too.

I leave my wire in the machine and never had a problem...it's in a dry garage inside a cupboard.

Memmeddu likes this.
  12. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    On mine, I just take the reel off the mount and put it in a convenient plastic bag, then re mount and leave, leaving the wire still in the liner, if the liner wire is rusty from the feed rollers on, I just pull it out from the rear and put fresh in the liner

13. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

So how did you like the Kemppi Evo Marcus?

14. I probably fitted the first spool of mild steel (Lincoln) in December 2012. I finished it in February this year. The mig welder is just stored in my garage in the Philippines, so hot and humid!
    Not a speck of rust.

15. Markus19 Member

Hi guys thanks for all your replies.

im loving my new kemppi!! its a brillant bit of kit and would recommend anyone to get one.

when i had my old rubbish kende i was all for giving up welding but now with the kemppi its restored my faith.

one thing i cant get the hang of is getting the nice dotted weld bead look my bead have good penetration but are quite smooth on top.

jerrytug likes this.
  16. tom2207 Member

if im leaving a welder for a while i just give the reel of wire a squirt of acf 50 , seems to cause no bother and no hassles with rust , welds just fine but they usually dont get left that long maybe a week or two , but ones in an almost open area just pushed under a bench.

17. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

Till is starts oxidizing.

TechnicAl likes this.
  18. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I use mainly EWM wire, and it has a really good copper coating, Left on the machine over winter etc, Still clean and shiny, No hint of any deterioration, Lincoln wire is the same very good copper coating,

19. metalmelt Member

All down to storage conditions, many hobby welders will leave their wire on their machine through the winter in a damp garage or workshop and wonder "WHY" when it doesn't weld correctly, others may have heated garages or workshops and it will be fine through the damp months, basically it comes down to your decisions and do you take your wire off if it is in damp conditions and store the reel somewhere warm or do you just buy a new spool of wire and hope your liner isn't rusted also.

20. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

kemppi miniarc mig, when not in use spends its life under my desk ,still enough room for my feet and its easy too hand and safe/dry. excellent tool.(rubbish screen visibility in sun/daylight though!)

8ob likes this.
Advertisements