How do these welds look?

1. TommyGuns New Member

Hello, I’ve never welded in my life and decided to jump in and have a go. These are my first welds just having a play. If I can have your feedback of what’s wrong and right about them and any advise? I think they got better as I went along but might be wrong.
    3BC929F4-2B22-40DF-9FC2-BB3FE676F850.jpeg 155FC99C-85BD-4B9F-99F9-918700539292.jpeg 2F894621-DFE2-4108-A839-2F5612B206B4.jpeg 39E37125-8607-4C04-9EBA-2AB00FBCA36F.jpeg 43CE65E0-17DD-4999-9B02-C984FC81B501.jpeg 4CF4EA6F-09DE-484D-B55D-E6E44546B111.jpeg

2. MattH

MattH Member

Third pic is the best.

You are moving to fast so not laying down enough wire and getting a cold bead.

Don’t panic and rush it. Take your time and watch the wire going into the weld pool, keep that pool constant.

fitz the viking likes this.
  3. TommyGuns New Member

Thank you for your feedback, I thought I had put too much down on that one as looked big to me. But I don’t know! I will try again and keep the puddle hot. Does it look like I’ve got good penetration?

4. MattH

MattH Member

Hard to say without seeing the back.

5. TommyGuns New Member

I’ll do some more tomorrow at a slower speed and take photos of both sides if you can let me know what you think?

6. Richard.

Richard. Member

As Matt said your travel speed is a little quick but mainly it’s inconsistent.
    I’d also suggest knocking the wire speed down a smidge to get the voltage to wet out a bit more.
    I wouldn’t worry about penetration too much it’s pretty clear they have bit into the material and you don’t have to come right through the back side for the weld to be sound. What you don’t want is lack of fusion and you are getting this with the inconsistency in the speed. I can see unwelded edges on pics 1 and 4 and cold laps throughout all the joints. This will sort itself out with a constant speed and a little drop in wire speed.

7. Ed. Member

Not too good but they got better the more you did, try using your other hand as well to balance the one that holds the torch and let it slide over the work or bench to maintain a consistent arc. The arc will mimic what the torch does so if the torch slows down for a split second it will get wider/taller, if you move the torch tip up a tiny bit, it will also show that in the weld bead, move the torch a smidge faster and the bead will get thinner, so the trick is smooth consistent movements with a constant height and speed. Once you have that down pat then you can look at adjusting voltages/wire speed to get the right type of bead necessary for a good weld.

8. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    And wear some better footwear you'll be amazed how a tiny bit of spatter burns through,and it blinking hurts;)

9. Richard Stowe New Member

Hi tommyguns
    What mig are you using? With what settings?

Advertisements