how am i doing

1. daz Member

started welding a couple of weeks ago not done any course, the only help ive had is from the tutorial
    how am i doing so far
    150 amp mig using co2 only cause i can get it cheap and aint got a boc account yet
    bout 2mm thick mild steel
    the first pic show a few welds sorry the quality aint great its best my cam will do
    and the second shows where i welded 2 pieces together
    i then smashed the hell out of it with a hammer to see if it was strong which it was
    so i grinded the weld flat and gave it a few more smacks with the hammer and it still held up

• Picture-020.jpg
    • Picture-021.jpg
  2. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

The welds themselves look fine. How is the penetration? You'll ideally have a little bit of weld standing proud on the reverse of the join that would need a tiny bit of grinding to make it flat.

Tou can test the weld by holding it in a vice and bending it backwards and forwards until it breaks. If the weld breaks around the edge of the weld away from the join in the metal it's a good one. If the weld itself breaks then it's a bad one.

3. daz Member

the steel is a square pipe and the second pic shows on that i welded together,
    i beveled the edges then welded it and smashed it with a hammer and it didnt break so i then ground it of and hit it some more and iot still didnt break
    i have welded a similar piece together but the welds did break of that one

when i make the welds i get some smoke coming out of the pipe which im guess ing is a sighn of good penetration cause when i first started there was no smoke
    i do not have any sheet steel to weld so would it have the same effect if i weld one side of the metal and bend that back and forth

4. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Just welding one face and bending backwards and forwards should work. You'll be able to see how much penetration you have when it breaks. Certainly bashing with a hammer alone won't tell you much.

Advertisements