homemade brooks and stent cutter grinder

1. gaz1

gaz1 Member

it appears that i have bought a homemade brooks and stent cutter grinder from ebay

This is a shop-made tool cutter-grinder described originally in a pair of articles by Derek Brooks in the English magazine Model Engineers' Workshop, No. 16 (April/May 1993), pp. 60-65, and No. 17 (June/July 1993), pp. 22-25. If you seek these articles and cannot find back issues, they are available as a part of the digital archive provided to current subscribers to the magazine.

reference here

http://www.circuitousroot.com/artifice/machine-shop/cutters/brooks-stent/index.html

https://www.gadgetbuilder.com/Brooks_Grinder.html

ive got no idea how to sharpen drills or lathe tools ive never been shown how to do them so follow youtube but im not a lover of having hands and fingers near high speed spinning stuff

I spotted this item being sold

now I had offered 100.00 to buy it as a homemade item this was refused by the seller and rightly so.

I won it on bidding on ebay recently its just been delivered this morning after collection yesterday

the owner of the device was even offered a higher price to seal the deal from him

so what is it really worth by the time you have bought many parts your well over 100.00 then theres your time in making these up so you can use them

s-l1600.jpg22.jpg s-l1600.jpg33.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

so heres some photos of how its made up these are the drill bit holders the larger size for larger drill bits the smaller size for the smaller drill bits

20190115_144715.jpg 20190115_144728.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Rannsachair, 8ob, ronan and 4 others like this.
  2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

the smaller drill size holder spring clipped in to hold the drill bit in place and allows for a quick change of drill bits

20190115_144739.jpg
    milling bit holder and spacer now the interesting bit on this item is the holder at the back of the unit theres 4 of them based on a bar design simple yet elegant for 3 up to 6 flutes on the end mills to sharpen the top has a degree usage to make it easier

built strong

20190115_144851.jpg 20190115_144908.jpg 20190115_144923.jpg

• 20190115_144814.jpg
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Member

the head unit with small motor the smaller grinding disk held by a drill chuck

the white grinding wheel held on by a different format
    20190115_151552.jpg 20190115_151608.jpg 20190115_151628.jpg 20190115_151708.jpg 20190115_151808.jpg

4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

That's a really nice looking set of kit, Gaz - good work :thumbup:

I don't really know what I (or you) would do with it, but that's rarely stopped me buying tools in the past :D

DAPPH, gaz1 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

im not finished yet still more to come as i go through the box

for what i can see theres a saw blade or milling blade set piece got to figure that one out and a few other things im not so sure

so yeah a nice set there

i will get it working so it does do other things

im not sure if it has a sharpener for the lathe tools side of it but i believe that one is far easier to make to go with this set than the whole set was to make up

6. gaz1

gaz1 Member

the original builder of this was by permission

Ted Pratt from Reydon in Suffolk.

20190118_150520.jpg 20190118_150535.jpg 20190118_150606.jpg 20190118_150622.jpg 20190118_151041.jpg

DAPPH likes this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

My pal in the West built himself a gadget for sharpening end mills/ milling cutters, wish I'd taken some pics when I was over there last. :ashamed:

8. gaz1

gaz1 Member

now now its no point saying it after the fact but theres many a time ive thought oh thats a nice idea and ive grabbed mobile phone and taken photos of it i could at one time said i dont have a camera but many have no excuse nowadays

:whistle:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

Aye, mea maxima culpa :ashamed: In my defence I wasn't feeling 100%. :(

He rigs the thing up in his Dore-Westbury mill. I can ask him to send me pics, he's in his 80s but I see no reason why he'd not manage that. :thumbup:

10. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Jesus that's a lot of hardware and faffing about to sharpen a drill....Re-sell and learn how to grind and sharpen by hand, its not hard at all and so valuable when in the workshop or in the field to be able to put an edge on a drill in 30 seconds....30 mins on youtube followed by a couple of hours in the workshop with a load of old drills and you will be an expert and able to put all that stuff for sale;)

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  11. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    I guess its not such a bad idea , for sharpening multi flute drills and milling tools would be more than a little difficult doing it by hand & your trusty MK 1 eyeball .

12. slim_boy_fat

I'd like to see anyone sharpen an end mill or fluted milling cutter by hand - bet I could sell tickets :D .
    Drills, yes [even I can do that], but not these.......:vsad:

[​IMG]

gaz1, 8ob, DAPPH and 3 others like this.
  13. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

:clapping::clapping: i tip my hat and walk away in defeat;)

14. slim_boy_fat

@gaz1 Spoke to him earlier and he's going to take pics tomorrow if it's not too cold in his garage/workshop, along with some words of description.

He has an ER32 collet chuck [ex Banggood after I got mine] but made his sharpener to accommodate one size of collet shank for all his cutters, turned an adaptor for each on the lathe [I forget what but I know it's bigger than 19mm] so that he doesn't have to change collets when swapping cutters over. A true Yorkshireman, he reckons it saves him having to buy different collets to fit - he only has one size shank to worry about :rolleyes:

I'll report further once I have his input.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    julianthegypsy likes this.
  15. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

That'll be 20mm then. It's the maximum size on an ER32.

slim_boy_fat and julianthegypsy like this.
  16. slim_boy_fat

Quite possibly - I just know they don't fit mine because he gave me one he'd sharpen with his 'device' to try, and it doesn't fit. He couldn't sharpen any of mine because of the differing shank size(s). :(

17. slim_boy_fat

Aye, 20mm it is. He gave me this one but it won't fit my biggest collet so he'll get it back in due course.
    Here'a few pics, it's difficult to show but it IS sharp!

IMG_20190119_165154.jpg

IMG_20190119_165639.jpg

IMG_20190119_165651.jpg

I'm still waiting for the pics of the sharpener he's going to send, but I'll post them up when they arrive.

gaz1 likes this.
  18. slim_boy_fat

OK, this is what my pal has sent across - it def works, you could cut yourself on the cutter(s) when he's finished. [seems a lot of work, though.....?]

John sketch.jpg
    cutter sharpener 1.JPG
    cutter sharpner 2.JPG

cutter sharpner 3.JPG

What do you reckon, lads?

gaz1, Kram and DAPPH like this.
  19. ukracer Forum Supporter

Can't you mate take some photos and send them to you via email?

20. ukracer Forum Supporter

Ah that will teach me to 1. Check the date.
    2 read the whole thread.
    Lol

DAPPH and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements