Homemade air receiver tank

1. delta9 Member

Hi guys,
    Looking for some advice on building this air receiver tank.

Recently acquired 3 big gas bottles, I want to make an air receiver tank for more air/ higher pressure output.

Currently my 3hp compressor (150 psi) is only giving me about 8-10 secs max power on certain air tools, if this tank(s) give me x3 more time (30 secs) then I would be happy with that, would it give me that?

Cheers for any input

• artank.jpg
  2. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

If you add two tanks the same size as your compressor tank you will get your 3 times capacity. 10 + 10 + 10. Will also take 3 times the time to fill the tanks but if that is not an issue then should be fine.

You don’t need relief valves on the additional tanks, your compressor will have one already. Also no need for a non-return it’s just a restriction, add a full bore valve to isolate the tanks from the compressor.

Assume the pic is copied from somewhere? You won’t increase the PSI, it’s limited to the compressor and I wouldn’t go over 145psi which is your compressor rating.

ronan, outofthefire and delta9 like this.
  3. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

So you don't have to cut & weld the bottles just run a pipe (suggest 22mm copper) along the bottom, Teed into the bottles with a water trap on the outlet.

Scan252.jpg

Note the slope from left to right to stop water puddling in the pipe

ronan, Turbo, 500e and 3 others like this.
  4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Ran like that for a couple of years when we were starting out with a cold room compressor as a pump, think we might have had 4, could spray a small car with an AID gravity feed gun, never got rid of the smell though

brightspark and delta9 like this.
  5. delta9 Member

Thanks guys

That makes sense, I know it will take longer to re-fill the tanks, but that is ok.

Its my drawing, my thoughts were if I added a non return valve, that would allow the pressure to increase in the secondary tanks, but now realise I got that bit totally wrong :doh:

Will do what you both suggested , thanks, I'll post back if there are any improvements.

Burdekin likes this.
  6. 500e

Something to think about is the run time on the compressor, friend had a big tank given great he thought coupled it up to existing smallish system, it worked for a week or so then compressor went tight\ semi seized & burnt motor out as well.
    A lot of the compressors are not meant to run for long periods, have heard of others but only hearsay

delta9 likes this.
  7. rtbcomp

^^ That is a good point, IIRC a 50% duty cycle is the norm. That said I ran my Clarke at 100% when I was grit blasting. I wouldn't trust a direct drive compressor at 100% though.

delta9 likes this.
  8. brightspark

brightspark Member

that's the only point in having one outlet you cant steam or wash it out properly and they stink

delta9 likes this.
  9. brightspark

brightspark Member

direct drive doing blasting blasting killed my mates new Clarke after 20 mins :(

delta9 likes this.
  10. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I took the valve out of mine, washed it with fresh water a good few times, rolled it about and left upside down. Then cleaned with degreaser, rinsed, then swirled some bleach in, washed with water then added bicarb soda and three dishwasher tablets, let soak for a coup!e of days, then rinsed, swirled in more bleach, rinsed again and let soak with water and there was no smell. Bleach does seem to get rid of the smell in propane tanks but you need to wash the bleach out well as well.

Hopefuldave, slim_boy_fat and delta9 like this.
  11. delta9 Member

Thanks,
    I am going to do it like this diagram, saves cutting and welding like you suggest.

But do I really need to use 22mm copper? I already have pipework in place, which is 15mm copper (I need to keep this in place, this will feed the new tanks, then I could use 22mm from tanks to air tools)

I can't see much benefit in 22mm when all my air tools and air line fittings are 1/4" BSP as ... I guess most tools are 1/4" standard.

Do I need to upgrade my air line fittings to 1/2" ?

Cheers

12. rtbcomp

22mm will give less resistance and better cooling, if you've 15mm keep it and see how you go on. 15mm compression fittings have 1/2" BSP threads. I would use 1/2" for the plumbing and 1/4" at the actual tool. You get better throughput on 1/2" regulators

delta9 and brightspark like this.
  13. delta9 Member

Thanks rtbcomp, ok I'll stick with 15mm setup, see how it goes

14. rtbcomp

If you do think you need larger bore pipework it might be better to double up your existing 15mm, you'll get even better cooling and throughput and it will be cheaper than ripping out the 15mm and replacing it with 22mm.

delta9 likes this.
  15. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

22mm does have over twice the cross sectional area so will flow more air.

Pete. and delta9 like this.
  16. bigman1 New Member

A chinese air pump will put 3000 psi into an oxy bottle,will give you plenty air.

17. brightspark

brightspark Member

and where is the said pump available and how much .link please

fenman and roofman like this.
  18. captain-destructo

captain-destructo all the gear no idea

might be an idea to put valves on them so you can isolate them so if you put the compressor on just to blow up one tyre you dont have to fill the extra 3 tanks

Hopefuldave and brightspark like this.
  19. brightspark

brightspark Member

im pretty lucky have a large twin pump comp and a smaller 14cfm comp so use whichever is applicable for use without producing wasted air

20. 500e

Its not waste if you have no leaks

Hopefuldave likes this.
Advertisements