Hollywood style vanity/makeup mirror

1. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

So the boss lady's birthday is coming up and she's wanted one of these for awhile now, something along the lines of this;

cbdd2293b94ee1939797dd9a24b2ae65.jpg

Now these seem to retail at about $400 dollars in America, which is kind on ridiculous in my opinion.

My plan is to buy a cheap mirror and frame it with a RHS stainless frame, purchase similar light fittings and attach through said frame, hiding the wiring out the back.

Only things i need to work out are attaching the mirror to the frame and what kind of bulbs to use, id imagine google will answer the second one.

Hoping to get started on it in the coming days. Any advice or ideas that anyone has please feel free to let me know!

Brian.

2. Coo

Coo Member

Fife
  3. Mee Banned

You could make up your own LED lights, bags of 50 LED's for less than $3 and a power supply for less than $5.

4. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Why would you use LED's...and where have these dollar signs come from? The whole point of it is to look vintage. If it were me I'd use a shallow boxed timber surround but with a tray backpiece, hole sawed around the surround for the bulb fittings and a straight edge bit of mirror glass to have it flush with the surround just glued into the tray, make life easier for yourself (and cheaper, too). Then all the wires would be hidden in the back and one cable coming out of a drilled hole in the boxing either at the side or bottom.

5. Mee Banned

Because you can fit LED's inside a bulb, and the OP was looking in America which uses dollars, as did he.

6. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

daleyd likes this.
  7. Mee Banned

You can do just that, but many of the cheaper LED bulbs are plain dangerous so if this is the route taken I would suggest decent LED bulbs.

8. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Well I can't really see the benefit of buying LED's from America just because you saw something else for sale there, but whatever floats your boat. If you fancied doing something a bit different, you could use those exposed filament vintage-look ones that are all the rage right now.

Edit: Not too sure which episode it is, but I saw one of Photonic Induction's vids where he gave a run through on what to buy and what not to buy re LED bulbs. Those cylinder/drum things weren't too highly rated as I recall.

Edit edit: Found it!

9. Mee Banned

Because the OP is in Ireland and was looking in America, similarly he could purchase materials from anywhere he chooses to, and has options of his choosing.

10. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

Wanted to keep a vintage look to it alright, decided against the SS frame purely because I came across some 100mm wide flat mild steel in the workshop earlier that suited. Made up the frame and sat the mirror in and I think it'll look good.

Going to go for old style Edison bulbs, have them in the post along with suitable bases that will recess behind the frame just leaving the bulb exposed.

Then going to box in the rear with mdf, and the job is done, simple as that! (Famous last words haha!)

Will be sure to get a few pics up, not much to look at ATM, just a steel square, but as soon as I get the holes drilled and bases mounted I'll throw up some photos!

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  11. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

Just a small update, made up the mdf box and got the holes drilled, still no sign of my fittings so hence the lack of progress. Didn't want to drill the steel until the fittings actually turn up, to make sure they actually are 40mm diameter like advertised!

Ignore the condition of the mdf, it's made up of random offcuts I had around the place! Once it's sanded, primed and painted it should look ok!

IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1772.JPG IMG_1774.JPG

12. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been playing with this whenever I've a free 10 minutes in the workshop. Got it finished tonight, well I say finished but i cracked the mirror putting it in, didn't realise there was a small bit of mdf under the mirror and of course when I screwed it down it chipped! :doh: No matter tho, it's a cheap common size so another one can be gotten easily! I'll let the photos speak for themselves, but I'm quite happy how it turned out considering it cost next to nothing to make!

IMG_1904.JPG IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1901.JPG

julianthegypsy and dazza like this.
  13. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Daughter was eyeing a very similar thing up in B&M a few months back.... think it was only about £30-40...

14. BrianCork

BrianCork Member

B&M? Not familiar with them, certainly never heard of it in Ireland, but shopping isn't my strongpoint!

15. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Shop full of cheap tat mostly :laughing:

BrianCork and julianthegypsy like this.
Advertisements