Hobbies at home

1. Thrashsmith

Thrashsmith Member

England, Kent
    I need a hobby to keep me sane in the evenings. I live in a flat block in a town centre and don't have a garage to make a home workshop in or anything like that, so when I say hobby I mean something non noisey, something you can do from the sofa in front of the TV. (I have a drum kit in my workshop office).

I asked this on a blacksmthing forum and one guy said he's started weaving using a basic cardboard loom - that's the sorta level I'm talking about, but I thought I'd ask here as well. I'm a bit useless at thinking up ideas for stuff like this, got any suggestions? Weaving, knitting, crochet etc are all of the right vein, but I don't want to turn into a Victorian lady :-)

waddycall and arther dailey like this.
  2. Arduino / Raspberry Pi? Lots of creative things you can do with them, including what the yoofs call 'wearables'. I think they mean clothing etc with embedded pretty lights etc! Arduino especially is very easy to use and there are many prewritten programs for it which you can tinker with to do what you want.

skotl, Hopefuldave and rtcosic like this.
  3. selectedgrub

selectedgrub Member

Hello.
    How about making beads for Courage.

4. jimbo84 Member

Bit of electronics, you can get those kits you solder together then move onto bread boards designing your own etc.

winchman and Hopefuldave like this.
  5. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Member

Consider getting some basic tools and learn hand engraving.

ronan and Thrashsmith like this.
  6. 8ob

8ob Member

How about getting one of those miniature lathe/mills and get into model making ?

Bob

ronan, Hopefuldave, dobbslc and 3 others like this.
  7. Robbie260 Member

3d printing is another one.

Is the flat yours or is it rented. If its actually yours you could make a spare room if you have one into a workshop. Get the likes of ultra quite dentists conpressor etc. If you take the time and design/insulate the room properly its amazing how much noise you can make and not be heard even on the other side of the door.

Hopefuldave, rtcosic and stuvy like this.
  8. oddbob

oddbob Member

3d printing. It's very addictive and absorbing ...and it doesn't have to break the bank to get going on it.

Hopefuldave and rtcosic like this.
  9. hotponyshoes Member

Is this just for fun / making stuff for yourself or a hobby that makes a bit of pocket money?

10. gaz1

gaz1 Member

id agree with you but lathes and drills have a loverly drone to them and flats can cause a fuss about it

to pass my time on was downloading and other things years ago now its watch it online instead

folding metal or building metal shelving up is a good easy one for at night

i got into fixing pc,s my own at first then it was others bringing theres to me ;)

11. Dcal Member

I'm with @jimbo84 and would recommend a bit of electronics.
    If you are up for it valve gear is a great place to start as it easy to get your head around the circuits and the components are bigger.
    Down side is there are lethal voltages and current present when you are tweaking the circuits and doing the inevitable fault finding.
    Big plus is valve gear can sound brilliant.

Hopefuldave and jimbo84 like this.
  12. rockweasel Member

Leatherwork?

I couldn't find an off the shelf phone case that I liked, so I had a go at making one. A few hand tools required and a lot of patience. I get very tense working with small fiddly things, so it's not a relaxing hobby for me but available if I want to make something.

thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail.jpg

13. Thrashsmith

Thrashsmith Member

England, Kent
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far, anything I do would just be for amusement, not earnings. I've always been more of an artist than engineer so the leatherworking & engraving sort of suggestions float my boat more than electronics, I used to make necklace pendants from slate when I was a kid.

I generally want to avoid anything too close to work, e.g a dremmel isn't far removed enough from a die grinder! Having said though 3D printing sounds interesting, I had no idea it was something that could be done from home, and I do have a spare room to potentially setup something in.

Please keep 'em coming!

14. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

digital art?

probably not CAD (fusion 360), but painting using GIMP? (free)

one of mine:

IMG-20190508-WA0002.jpg

from there, theres photography/videography?
    i'm just getting into VFX using "hitfilm express" (again, free software).
    i've also just bought an airbrush + a "silent" compressor to do a bit of "real" painting.

jewellery making - by wirewrapping or soldering, or even casting - can be done silently.

resin casting?

leatherworking has been mentioned - but making "props" for cosplay, or video, or photos, or even just display, can be a multidisciplinary craft, involving plastic, foam, card, resin, paint, leather, metal - add photo-editing/post processing and it could be a "complete" hobby.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

2 for leather work!....but I was thinking more refurb of leather pieces for cars.

You could start for example with a set of leather seats and a leather roof and back panel.....for a Nissan Figaro :clapping::clapping:

I think leather seats redone are around £900 for the Figaro....so pretty sure if you got good at it there might be an income opportunity too!

Hopefuldave and stuvy like this.
  16. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Spoon carving, especially from green wood..? It's very big on social media and has a very good community spirit.

I had some (well, a few hundred kilos of it) lime last year; turned out to be less than ideal for woodturning but carvers love it. I sent a box of it to someone on Instagram and got spoons back in return.

spoons1.jpeg spoons2.jpeg

jimbo84, optima21 and bigegg like this.
  17. That is just a bodge!

rory1 and stuvy like this.
  18. bigegg

bit rude

19. Not at all, that skill is properly known as bodging, specifically making furniture items from green wood. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging

ronan, Hopefuldave, Pete. and 5 others like this.
  20. bigegg

:thumbup::clapping:

got me.

ronan and stuvy like this.
Advertisements