Hive Outdoor Camera

1. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

our hive camera is on the porch and there’s no socket to plug it into.

Camera runs on a USB adapter.

The wiring in there is bloody questionable, but I’ve taken a spur off it and put it on a switch.

this all worked at first but now the camera has switched off. Switching the plug socket on and off works for a few hours then the power goes off again and camera stops working.
    Any ideas? Whoever installed the light before Resleeved one black cable with a red sleeve. No junction box or anything.

Should really get an electrician round.

I’m gonna be out of the house a few days and Mrs is worried given recent events

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  2. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

@Brad93 have you spurred off a 13A socket or a light switch? I can't work out what you've done from your description.
    The black with red sleeving on might be a live switch line for the light and not a neutral.
    Can you take a photo?
    :thumbup:

Parm likes this.
  3. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

My Ring seems to work when it wants

Shedendman, Woody.v8, Anguz and 2 others like this.
  4. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Not sure if your talking about the doorbell or your coit....

barking mat likes this.
  5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

me coits hung up we me boits.

doorbell

bigegg and dobbslc like this.
  6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I’ve spurred off the light circuit in the porch

7. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Did you come off the switch or the light fitting?

8. ukracer Forum Supporter

Is it a ring doorbell or just camera?

9. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

It’s like a ring doorbell but the camera recognises people walking up the drive.

10. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Light circuit/fitting.

11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

When I get the chance I’ll put a proper junction box in but I’ve just run out of time!

13. brightspark

brightspark Member

looks to be correct take the socket face off and leave camera plugged in test voltage should be roundabout 235 to 240v leve it on till camera goes off and test the voltage again at socket terminals if all well and voltage is still there probably the transformer or camera goosed

gordon stephenson, Brad93 and dobbslc like this.
  14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I’ve plugged the cAmera in to socket other side of door for time being to test if the camera or adapter is “goosed”

barking mat, brightspark and dobbslc like this.
  15. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Yeah it looks correctly wired, just check the connections are all good then plug a table lamp into that socket along with the Ring bell with a 2 / 3 way adapter and see if the light goes off when the Ring bell does.
    It might just be a faulty door bell!

brightspark likes this.
  16. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

I wired up a flood light outside my office, for ease I took the supply from the ceiling rose. Much checking was involved

Anyway the flood light on its own switch only works if the office light is on. Its just a simple wire switch over, Ive been meaning to do it for 2 years

17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    I had to replace one of those units for a neighbour, BT support is very good so if you're happy the mains is all correct, they'll probably swap it out for a new unit.

The symptoms do suggest a phase swap somewhere though. Your light might be happy with live/neutral swapped over but in the transformer, the neutral might float to live (I am making this up!) and effectively cancel out the mains voltage difference. When you switch it off the floating voltage is reset.

It is quite possible the entire double insulated system including the camera head is sitting there at mains voltage level wrt earth. Exercise caution...

18. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Camera has worked all night plugged into the socket on the other side of the door so there is definitely a wiring issue.

For anyone looking at the hive cameras, they’d be great on a house set way back from the road and reasonably quiet, as my Mrs dads house is. He has the ring doorbell and thinks the hive is better. Hence we bought one.

On our house, situated just off the road, and our road going into a busy main road, we have had to turn the sound detection feature off completely.
    Camera only records when motion is detected, so we set a defection zone up covering ¾ of our driveway well away from road and pavement.
    Still picking up cars going past :doh:

So we put it on person detection only. Seemed to work good picking me up and the neighbour putting her bins out.

Had an amazon delivery this morning and the postman delivered some mail.
    Camera detected neither.

19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    In my experience, it's all about setting up zones and sensitivity. The more zones and the smaller they are, the better.

20. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

They set up a Ring floodlight camera at our workshop, and it's been remarkably good - picks up everything going past. We have a private road though, so not much traffic...

It would have been great for that member the other day who spotted someone relieving themselves - you can shout at them through the camera, which has a speaker :D

Brad93 likes this.
Advertisements