HF PROBLEMS miller dynasty 200 dx ac dc

1. 123hotchef Member

I had some AC tig tuition from @Richard. this morning and it appears my set has a HF start problem.

I think it may be the water cooled torch to be honest because I swapped the torches over just now the the HF seemed much stronger on my old air cooled torch.

Any thoughts people?

2. hotponyshoes Member

The water cooled torch might be acting as a ground path for the hf, check its connected up correctly and after that you could check the resistance of the torch lines. I suppose if it had any breaks in the inside of the power cable the hf might be able to get from the power core into the water and ground out that way.
    I did see one where the welder was barely working after a w/c torch was fitted but that was because the guy had connected the torch to a dinse adaptor but insulated most of it with ptfe tape.

123hotchef likes this.
  3. 123hotchef Member

it is a new weldtec torch so not a cheap jobbie, what am i checking with the resistance just from the dinse to the torch head?

4. hotponyshoes Member

If that's the case I would be surprised if it's the torch that's the problem.
    You could try disconnecting the water lines from the cooler for a brief test and see if the hf improves?

The resistance test would be to see if there might be any power leakage between the power feed and the water side but you could just do a quick continuity check between the welder connector and the collet body just to check you have connected it up the same way as the other torch

123hotchef likes this.
  5. 123hotchef Member

i shall give it a go tomorrow thanks, you never know it is only ass good as the person that put it together in the shop lets be honest

6. hotponyshoes Member

I think if its connected the wrong way around it won't work at all but it's worth checking.
    Do a Google image search for "water cooled tig torch connection" and you should find some examples. I think CK might have a guide on the website or binzel. I know I have some instructions here somewhere so I can upload them if you need them.

123hotchef likes this.
  7. 123hotchef Member

yes please fire them up if you get a chance I was led to believe the copper core runs through the coolant so it keeps it cool too on the return

8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

If ta an early dynasty they had some issues with the HF board.

Torch wise does the Hf improve if you touch the tungsten to the work then arc up?

123hotchef likes this.
  9. hotponyshoes Member

Yea it does.
    Just check it's all connected up correctly. The power going to the torch has water coming back down it (might be red or marked hot) that needs to go to the return on the cooler. I think the return on the coolers might be isolated, if the torch or coolant lines are connected wrong then the hf can escape by travelling through the water rather than going to the workpiece
    20191110_184116.jpg

123hotchef likes this.
  10. 123hotchef Member

it did mate, it could be a earth return issue because @Richard. thought it was better when he had the clamp on the owrkpiece

11. hotponyshoes Member

I dont know about your welder but some have a points gap inside for the HF
    If yours has you might want to clean up the ends and check/adjust the gap

123hotchef likes this.
  12. 123hotchef Member

i think this has a board of electronic gismos

13. hotponyshoes Member

I think some of them still have a gap but its mounted in a box on a pcb.
    I might be talking out of my arse on this though.
    Try Google *your welder* hf gap or something unless you have a manual/diagram for it

123hotchef likes this.
  14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

No, this is definitely solid state high frequency start.

15. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Blue Lightning it’s called

123hotchef likes this.
  16. Richard.

Richard. Member

It’s definitely connected correctly on all lines that I’m sure of.
    the cooler is filled with the correct liquid and once the arc is established the current/arc/welding is perfectly fine. We had a good work return because there was no problem with cables generating heat and no intermittent arc issues. It did improve slightly when the clamp was positioned on the job but not enough to resolve the problem. The hf is definitely leaking to earth somewhere or very weak because it needed a 1mm arc gap to stand a jump
    The torch was swapped over after I left and I was told this resolved the problem so I do believe this indicates the torch to be the issue not the machine. lees weldtec torch has an extremely thin power cable compared to mine and brads. Half the diameter I’d say. I’m not saying this is the problem but could well be a point in the cable with a slight break or something causing the problem perhaps. I’ve suggested to lee to look at another thicker torch power cable to see if that resolves the problem. In fact lee if you like I could send you mine out to try before you buy one if you cover the post. If my cable fixes the issue then you’ll know what you need to order.

123hotchef likes this.
  17. hotponyshoes Member

I think I put a binzel wct torch in the for sale section if it turns out to be a torch problem

123hotchef likes this.
  18. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Mine has Hf issues. Only slight no where near as bad as that but I’m 90% sure it’s because I’ve run the torch without remembering to turn the cooler on.

123hotchef likes this.
  19. Richard.

Richard. Member

Yep that’s certainly enough to reck em.

Hopefuldave, Brad93 and 123hotchef like this.
  20. 123hotchef Member

I had a play after changing the torch back and the hf seemed improved for a while then maybe not. I will.have another go tomorrow with it and report back.

Advertisements