help with getting correct gas soleniod

1. R1cky New Member

hi I have a cebora mig 160 and I'm not sure what is the correct one to get as none seem to have the same spec as the old one ?
    I would put picture up but cant seem to do this at the moment
    kind regards
    Ricky

2. monky harris Member

have a look on ebay there are various on there,
    it may be a 240 volt i got one and fitted it,

i could have got away with just buying the solinoid, which was cheaper...:doh:

R1cky likes this.
  3. R1cky New Member

there is so many to chose from I'm not sure on what voltage one I should get:dontknow:

4. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Pull the wires off the gas valve and set meter to read >240 v AC then pull trigger. Reading = 240V AC then you need a 240 ac one ! If reading is not stable then set meter to DC and > 24v DC. Pull trigger. Reading = 24 or 12 V DC then you need a 12 or 24 V DC one !! Sometimes you might find a 12, 24 OR 48 V AC one but doubt it on a Cebora 160.
    And welcome BTW :hug:

5. R1cky New Member

thank you mike will do this right now !!:waving:

6. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Just had a look at a schematic for a Cebora and that has a 24 VAC feed !! Which also feeds the contactor as well (via a thermal cut out) So does your contactor work ?

7. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

The voltage should be printed on the side of the valve.

monky harris likes this.
  8. R1cky New Member

about my luck battery went flat on tester have took solenoid off it has v:48/50-60 HZ

9. R1cky New Member

yes mike contactor does work !
    I had the solenoid off this morning as the gas was running all the time and wouldn't cut off so I took solenoid off and the was a bit of crap in it I could blow air straight threw it so I took it apart and cleaned put back together and no longer could blow threw it so put it all back on welder now its not opening:doh:

10. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    So going by your post of what was printed on valve you need a 48V AC valve. Note sometimes they can be marked up as both AC AND DC (usually two different values of voltage)
    If you get you meter sorted (new batt) you could meter the two connections on the coil of the valve (with wires disconnected) and set meter on Ohms <500.
    You should get a reading of a small amount of resistance if the coil is good but no reading (open circuit) if duff.

monky harris likes this.
  11. R1cky New Member

will have a go in the morning ive been searching all evening for a solenoid with this V:48/50-60 HZ on it cant find one any where think they must be a very old type or something!:doh:

12. R1cky New Member

how do I add photos?

13. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    I don't believe you have stuffed up the valve by taking it apart and cleaning. You have just sorted the "jammed open" fault it had. Usually if incorrectly reassembled they open but won't shut off/close so recon might be coil duff.
    Pics are of the valves used on machines I work on (poor phone pics!)

• 11042013941.jpg
    • 11042013943.jpg
  14. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    TO add a pic start to type message in the reply box then look to the right where it says UPLOAD A FILE. click on this and a box will open for you to search on you pc for pic(s) to add and select attach. A progress bar will run across bottom of screen to show fil being attached/uploaded. Then click the POST REPLY and there it should be unless the pic is to big (5mb limit if I recall)

15. R1cky New Member

Thank you Mike will have a look in the morning always happens when your in the middle of doing some thing my wife got me a new torch and roll of .8 wire for my birthday so thought I would put our tipper trailer in the work shop and Injoy my evening s welding a new floor and crossmember in so far all I've done is sworn and messed around with the welder

16. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Just put a sware box on top the welder :whistle:

17. R1cky New Member

:laughing::clapping::clapping:STRIPED CLEANED VALVE and found loose wire all up and running:doh: thanks for the help Mike your a star!!!

123hotchef likes this.
Advertisements