Help Please....Wolf/Powercraft Comp

1. poseidon Member

Oban Scotland
    Hi - I'm new on this forum and hope that someone may be able to help with a repair to a Wolf/Powercraft compressor (cheap Aldi 24l unit PC270/24).

I've managed to wreck the main inlet coupling on top of the tank, where the compressed air enters the tank and where a T piece feeds pressure to the cut-off regulator unit. It's a flimsy casting, which broke apart when I attempted to 'nip down' a minor leak. It also seems to contain a simple spring valve that looks as if it prevents air from the receiver escaping via the compressor unit when it shuts off. Image attached of fragments.....

Is it possible to source this assembly as a spare part, or does anyone have any suggestions on how I might cobble together something out of plumbing fittings to link the feed and the shutoff line to the tank?

I suspect this is fatal, but I'm reluctant to dump the compressor as it's been very useful so far..... keith

• DSCF4031.jpg
  2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!

Bog standard item, Machine Mart stock them. Just need to make sure you get the right thread sizes.

This might help http://homepages.tesco.net/~A10bsa/bspgo.htm

Just to clarify one point.

The unit is a non-return valve as you guessed, the thin pipe doesn't feed pressure to the switch. It is connected to a valve inside the switch which exhausts the delivery pipe so when the motor restarts it isn't under load.

This is where the characteristic hiss comes from when the compressor cuts out.

3. malcolm X

malcolm X Member

Bury lancashire
    Dont dump the compressor it can be fixed, it is fatal trying to "nip" up one of those ally castings they will always snap had the same prob myself, cobbled it together using plumbing fittings from B&Q I had probs with the 6mm pipe leading to the shutoff valve and a cracked casting on one of the outlets but fixed it with that thread loctite stuff, works a treat now.

4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I bought one of those from a local compressor and parts supplier for a machine I built and it was made of brass, much more substantial than the monkey metal used on the cheap ones. It's a check or one way valve with an unloader

5. poseidon Member

Oban Scotland
    Thanks for these comments guys.

Unfortunately Machine Mart were not really interested in helping when I phoned them(they say Powercraft is not a make they have any interest in and don't carry parts to suit(??)). I also see that Powercraft went into liquidation a while ago, so no direct support from them on parts. I'll just have to hunt around until I track down a suitable coupling. I think it would be quite difficult to fabricate anything to suit from brass plumbing or hydraulic couplings, as the spring valve inside would not seat. Just wish I'd been a bit more gentle in removing the fitting when the leak started which might have allowed repair by threadseal. Yes, Chinese monkey metal castings are a real pain, but I suppose that's the price of cheap equipment.

Any further suggestions on where I might run a coupling to ground (or make up something) will be appreciated.

Cheers....Keith

6. rtbcomp

Take the old down to MM and compare it yourself with what they have on their shelf.

Like I said in Post #2, it should be a bog standard part.

As Pedro said above, try a proper compressor firm where the people know what they're talking about. Have a look under " Compressed Air" in the links section.

Don't mention the name of the compressor.

7. Punx0r Member

Northampton
    Powercraft may be defunct but the compressors are still sold under the brand "Wolf". The UKHS.TV website sell them and a lot of the airtools you see in the aldi special offers. They might be able to supply spare parts if you need any in the future.

8. cortina2003 Member

north notts
    hi
    i think i might have one,as i recently sold my old tank which was a wolf,,,i stript it and sold just bare tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. poseidon Member

Oban Scotland
    Non Return valve

Hi Cortina 2003 - sorry to be so slow in responding to your reply. I'd kind of given up hope of actually finding a replacement valve for this machine. I did buy one from Machine Mart, but when I got it home it was the wrong threading.... Are you willing to sell this if you still have it? You can PM me

It's only after you don't have a working compressor for a few weeks that you appreciate just how much use they get. I was on the point of buying a complete replacement unit when I decided to revisit this forum and got your post.

Hope you can help....cheers and seasons best wishes....Keith

10. poseidon Member

Oban Scotland
    Sorted!!

Hi all - just a quick update on my long search to replace the knackerd non-return valve on the cheap old PowerCraft compressor -

I eventually managed to track down the complete valve assembly and coupling at National Stock Solutions, who have taken over on Wolfs parts supply. Good service, quick response and reasonable price too (£7.98 incl 1st class post). Compressor now back in duty and running like new again. I'd almost given up on this and I'm glad I stuck with it

They are contactable by phone on 01568620062 or by e-mail at pat@stockasset.co.uk

Thanks to everyone who responded to my help message with suggestions....cheers....Keith

11. rtbcomp

Thanks for letting us know, I've put a link to their website in the Compressors secion of our links pages,

12. glassblowa New Member

worcestershire, uk
    quick thanks

Ive had the exact same trouble & thanks to your endeavours have got sorted having contacted pat .Thank you

13. Pankaj Makwana New Member

14. Pankaj Makwana New Member

I agree the castings are crap. They are not aluminium but made of zinc. I heard a small hissing sound, bubble test revealed leak on manifold near delivery valve to push in fitting. I released all the air prior to assessing damage. Undoing the push fitting I am horrified that a piece of manifold broke off with fitting which was crumbling away. What damage would it have caused to a man at 80 Psig.Can I trust a zinc fitting again or do I just use a refrigeration 1/4" line that can handle 3000 psi and forget about the receiver tank. The thing would have flown like a bullet. Friends reconsider the above before you choose. I think I have been lucky.

15. Pankaj Makwana New Member

Sorry my mistake, the compressor blows into the tank so a way around is to use a brass or iron fitting at outlet and reduce it down to size of required fitting and rewire the pressure sensor in series with a Ranco pressure switch restricting max pressure to 6 bar with differential of 1 bar. This will cut out operation at 6 restart at 5 bar. A flared capillary coupling will connect pressure switch to pressure port. A bit more dearer but safety first. Pressure switches LP to 80 psi available from any refrigeration wholesaler.

16. Pankaj Makwana New Member

For added protection to above incorporate the prv into the branch t piece to the air outlet fitting. I think I have sorted it now.

Advertisements