HELP needed!Could anyone recover a 4x4 pick up from Newport to hampshire

1. arther dailey Member

Any one on here do recovery type work with a trailer or truck? need a 4x4 pick up truck collected from newport wales to southampton. its an auto and runs and drives for loading.

2. stuvy Member

Shiply is probably your best bet as you won’t get it legally Ona. Transit recovery truck

If it’s dragged on a spec lift it’s a rear prop off too

arther dailey and johnik like this.
  3. arther dailey Member

Thanks
    I think sorted with recovery doing it on return load basis..fingers crossed;)

stuvy likes this.
  4. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Know anyone with a Disco who can hire a trailer for the day ? A friend of mine fetched a disco on an Ifor Williams trailer.

arther dailey likes this.
  5. arther dailey Member

Thanks for the advice,got a buddy up north he is doing a round robin and is collecting on his recovery truck,so seems its sorted,but will know that only when he arrives eh. cheers

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

@Ruffian got two Subarus from me and arranged for pickup, can't recall the name but I am sure he will.

Edit.
    Ah sorry see you have it sorted.

7. arther dailey Member

thanks hood,always worth knowing for next time eh:)

8. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

If it doesn’t get sorted try Bud Rescue in Ringwood, they used to do a lot for me when I was working and were very reliable

9. arther dailey Member

Thanks Mick, it arrived this afternoon, its a mitsi l200, the reasoning..nissan rot ,toyota super expensive, checked this one out ,2006, 115k,auto which I was after,chassis 99.5%, bodyshell minor scuffs but 100% solid, tub as to be expected dings but solid,although tailgate might get replaced. and it was spares or repairs due to the dreaded EML coming on and then engine running dog rough. which put it squarely within my price range
    I trounced it around on the test drive trying to break it, nothing went wrong, so hassled the price down by nit picking and did the deal.
    Spent a couple hours just going over it , and more than pleased, yet to find the problem(well it hasnt reared its ugly head yet!) to start a fix but the more I checked the scruffy thing out the more impressed I am, will be happier when I have given it a thorough service . could do with a replacement drivers seat though but if thats the worst I will be more than happy.
    appreciate the replies given. Thanks Arther

Parm and Mick Annick like this.
  10. 123hotchef Member

what engine does it have in it arther?

11. Ruffian Member

Check the vacuum pipes as usually carbon up and block of break up and leak can usually be a easy problem on them.

12. arther dailey Member

2.5 diesel .yet to check model no, but its the later shape body.

13. 123hotchef Member

B40, read the code and post it up, egr and SCV are prime suspects

14. arther dailey Member

Thanks, I will find code, the story was the guy who owned it stated getting the EML come on, it would sound terrible,noise wise from engine, and limp at 10/15mph, so he put it in garage,they changed vacuum piece, the regulator that is on the end of pump,checked crank sensor clean and still no joy, he saw 14 reg on forecourt and took that, garage gave up and I bought it.
    probably more unsaid about it that I dont know, it came with a "spare" ecu and the chip kit that was original to it which has been removed due to trying to find culprit causing fault.
    I had it recovered, electricaly I can hear egr working when switching of , pump makes clicking noises...unsure about that as on my iveco its a definate whir when pump runs?
    not insured as I want to fix it first, but started ok,bit of smoke initially,grey, run up to temp and drove up and down a track, no sign of trouble apart from slight whish whish from underneath sounds like rear brake shoe rub or centre prop bearing.
    oh and the garage guy reckoned he had the injectors out and cleaned the tips....hmm.
    will get to do a leak of when I get the chance.
    thanks for the interest and advice appreciated .

123hotchef likes this.
  15. arther dailey Member

engine 4D56, just checked after standing overnight, the hand primer pumped one and a half times before going solid, engine started after about two seconds,again some grey smoke which then immediatly cleared. something whirs before turning engine over but coulnt tell without a screwdiver if its egr or pump. Will take egr pipes of later today and see how clean etc it is.
    Ruffian I will check those vacuum pipes savo, how many are there,not used to mitsi s!

16. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

i would change the cambelt first at that mileage same engine as old shogun/pajero but with more electrics emissions gunk

arther dailey and stuvy like this.
  17. Ruffian Member

True, as the 4g56 engine has a problem of slipping timing due to crankshaft pulley/crank keyway wearing.

The vacuum pipes are to the egr and the one round the turbo itself.

Also check the cat isn't blocked.

arther dailey and stuvy like this.
  18. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

grey smoke on start up sounds like a glow plug/s down
    my old pajero 4M40 2.8 would run on 3 cylinders on start up was told engine us/etc all it was one glow plug down
    not sure on l200 engine but plugs on 2.8 come on all the time on start up and up to 2 mins on half power till engine got going

19. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Ruffian
    forgot about crank keyway problem
    also agree about cat could be blocked causing back pressure at turbo

20. 123hotchef Member

there is a small pipe on the inlet maifold that blocks on those pull the 4mmid hose off and unblock it with a piece of thin wire if it is blocked

Advertisements