Help need from you clever people..

1. Bear

Bear Member

I have been asked by a family member if i could look into making them a full wall fish tank display stand in steel.

I have come up with the following

20190604_193839.jpg

Now as you can see these are going to be some big'ish tank. So im estimating when full with water they will each way around 425kg mark.

My question is im building the main frame using 50x50x5mm box, but they are going to use wood for the base supports of the tanks and have asked if i could use 30x30x3mm for the joists (could think of a better term)

20190604_193859.jpg

Top view of the tank shelf

This will have 4 supports front to back not 3 as per the image. Would these 4 lengths be strong enough and not deflect to much with the weight?

The tanks are going to be flush fit front to back so some of the weight of the tank will rest on the 50mm box at the front and back, but most will rest on the 30mm box in the center and a 20mm wood board.

I personally think it will be fine, but wanted to asked the more experienced among you for your valid opinions.

Hope ive made sense.

Thanks
    Wil

2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

yes but no heres some other things you can consider

https://www.google.com/search?q=met...iAhWGSRUIHc8hDtcQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1366&bih=626

its side supports take most of the brunt of the weight of the water and tank the middle section is only there as support

its helpful to have 2 extra cross ways support there to stop it splaying out in the middle

id consider one in the middle as support thats shelved out mainly to hold accessory

also you dont want to be dropping a tank into anything thats got a channel around it unless its for shop display

3. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

4. Richard.

Richard. Member

Are they 6 separate tanks?
    How are you planning to feed the fish in tanks 2,4 and 6

5. Bear

Bear Member

Thanks for your reply.

Looking at some of those stands maybe my 50x50x5 frame is going to be over kill. But better over engineered than under.

I have a good idea of what im going to do now.

The tanks wont be getting recessed in, he wants to put 20mm wood below but keep the tanks looking level with the outer steel edges :thumbup:

6. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I made a load of stands for a fish farm sometime back. More practical than decorative.
    Frames were 50x50x3 box all over.
    They were tiered, 3 high.
    All the tanks were sat on 20/25mm polystyrene to absorb any discrepancies within the frames.

Bear likes this.
  7. Bear

Bear Member

Yes they are 6 seperate tanks.

Tanks are only 500mm tall the space is 700mm tall to allow 200mm above each tank for cleaning and feeding.

Richard. likes this.
Advertisements