help identifying component?

1. you New Member

Hi im having some issues with my old 1989 sealey mightymig 90, i have removed what i believe to be a thermisto that is across the rectifier and it is testing open circuit/infinite ohms. i have the instructions attached which shows what looks like the thermistor symbol in the circuit diagram but it only has the whole rectifier assembly listed in the parts. what i would like to know is what would be a suitable replacement as searching the numbers on the part doesnt come up with anything [GEU(B or 8 not sure) 68710] im guessing it would be a ntc thermistor to pass current across the rectifier as it heats up? but what resistance value should it have?
    pictures attached MIGHTMIG90 (6).jpg 20191030_183617.jpg
    Many thanks

2. awemawson Forum Supporter

It could be a capacitor to filter hf noise, but I suspect that it's an MOV (metal oxide varisor) or transorb (commercial name for same thing) that is designed to break down and conduct briefly on high voltage spikes a save damage elswhere.

eddie49 likes this.
  3. you New Member

hi dont think its a cap as doesnt look like one and wrong symbol on circuit diagram,
    could well be a mov though as has same symbol as thermistor on circuit diagram, in which case its testing good and means i have to look else where for whats causing issues, thanks

4. eddie49 Member

I agree with awemason, it is an MOV varistor. Quite usual to see them in that location - across the rectifier, for spike protection. The welder will ( should ) work ( or not ) without it.
    What fault(s) are you experiencing?

5. you New Member

thanks have started another thread to troubleshoot

6. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Can't see it been a thermistor it wouldn't handle the current, what problem are you having with the welder

7. you New Member

thanks have started new thread

Advertisements