Helmet recommendations

1. MaxH Member

I've currently got a SIP Meteor 2300 (https://www.toolstation.com/sip-met...lding-headshield/p32517?searchstr=sip welding), but the headstrap has always been a bit cheap and unsurprisingly part of it snapped the other day.

I should be able to return it under warranty, so am looking at getting a better helmet.

I'm looking around the £80 mark, but could stretch to £100 if it'll provide a significant step up in performance. I'll currently only be using it for stick welding outside.

I'd been looking at the ESAB Warrior Tech, which I've used on a short welding course, but the lack of replaceable batteries is worrying me.

Similarly, I'd quite like a helmet with replaceable parts e.g. head straps etc if possible (but not a necessity if they're strong enough anyway).

After looking at reviews on here, the 'True Colour' welding helmets also seem interesting - is this a gimmick or something to actually consider? I've seen a few at my stretch budget e.g. the R-Tech HD XXL and the Bohler Guardian 50.

Thanks in advance all.

2. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    We bought two cheap SIP meteors and same thing happened - headband disintegrated on both. shame, cos they were perfectly fine for abusing around the farm.

My brother then bought an ESAB Warrior tech. Not the greatest helmet ever but good value, well built, comfy, excellent for stick welding and farm work.

The Bohler guardian looks decent on paper though. I'd be tempted by the 2 year warranty and the 1/1/1/2 clarity.

True colour is nice to have. Not essential, but I love it on my ESAB A50.

3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

If you will go putting them on cows what do you expect :D Buy a fixed shade helmet for £7 and use the headgear to repair your SIP

4. MaxH Member

Agreed, saw it mentioned in another thread but haven't seen many reviews on it.

Thought about doing a DIY repair too, but if I can get my money back on the old helmet I might as well take the opportunity and put it towards something that'll last longer.

5. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    MaxH likes this.
  6. choco

choco Member

ireland
    Cheap and cheerful Chinese ,

1/2/1/2
    Big viewing
    4 sensor

Out control Big view eara 4 arc sensor DIN5-DIN13 Solar auto darkening TIG MIG MMA welding mask/helmet/welder cap/lens/face mask
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ca1XYttR

MaxH likes this.
Advertisements