Head gasket sealer

1. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Has anyone tried any of these?

A mate asked me to check his daughter's Vauxhall Meriva 1.6 tonight. Starting problems apparently. He said when he checked her car there was no water in it!
    I got it running - seemed ok at first but loads of steam coming out of the exhaust and then running rough at idle. Almost certainly head gasket. No oil contamination.

It is a bad blow judging by the amount of steam coming out of the exhaust.

I suspect the head gasket sealers are in with a chance on a weeping gasket but would have no chance in a case like this. I would love to be proved wrong though.

2. owas

owas Member

If it did manage to seal it , it wouldn't last that long till it went again but if the car is scrap otherwise, might as well give it a go

fizzy likes this.
  3. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

delta9 and fizzy like this.
  4. johnser

johnser Member

Had good experiences with "k-seal". I was impressed when it worked on a crack (into the sparkplug hole) in a motorbike head. I thought the stresses involved on such a high revving little motor would be hard to cope with.

zx9, arther dailey and fizzy like this.
  5. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    and will you be to blame when the owner is stranded on the side of the road ?

id recommend the proper fix and have nothing to do with sealants

hunter27, Woody.v8 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Most of the gunk tipped into cooling systems to seal them is aimed at buying motor traders time, time enough to launch a dog onto the auction rooms/Bay of thieves and onto some unsuspecting sole.

Bob

7. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Steel seal may work and they used to offer money back if it didn't.

If it's that bad though it really wants a new gasket, could be a cracked head or block

fizzy and Woody.v8 like this.
  8. winchman

winchman Member

I had an issue with a vehicle loosing water just couldn't find it and I was going to Cornwall in two days! Asked local motor factor who I trust he advised K seal, works a treat still fine 2 years later when I sold it. Its worth a try before you start spending on it.

zx9, fizzy and mike os like this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Someone I know tried Steel Seal for a slooooow leak in a pickup - worked until he traded it which backs up what @8ob suggested.

fizzy and Woody.v8 like this.
  10. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Internal combustion engines create water as part of the process, any car will blow water out of the exhaust in great quantities if it's been stood cold for any time so I don't see it as a symptom of a blown head gasket. You don't usually see it because you are sitting in the driver's seat.

11. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I have seen it several times. Looks like the car is powered by steam:laughing:.
    Very different from the usual wisp of steam you get in cold weather!

12. Kayos

Kayos Member

Such a small, simple engine. Head gasket is a day of a job if the head isn't warped

owas likes this.
  13. jsf55

jsf55 Forum Supporter

zx9 and fizzy like this.
  14. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I know. Try telling that to garages these days they charge silly money!

15. arther dailey Member

k seal, used it on my van as v busy at the time, two years later it was absolutely spot on still so much to my amazement in that case it worked . if the cars toward the end of finacial life its worth the gamble , if its akeeper ,get it sorted (like I did ?ha:whistle:)

fizzy, zx9 and monky harris like this.
  16. zx9

zx9 Member

I agree with the positive comments re k seal it can get a car out of trouble and keep working for a long time. I used it on Mrs. ZX9's Rover k series engine, how appropriate :) it out lasted the rest of the car.

arther dailey and fizzy like this.
  17. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Well my mate has decided to get it done properly. £450 including head skim and new rad.
    Car is a keeper so prob best thing.
    I test drove the car for him before he bought it. I could smell a faint whiff of antifreeze then and suspected head gasket. Mind you it lasted 3 years :laughing:

18. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

If you can smell the coolant it's usually the heater matrix, my daughters Corsa did it a couple of years ago.

fizzy likes this.
  19. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The big issue I've seen with some of these products it the heaters not working as well as they did before particularly on lower settings as they clog the paths. I have used Steel Seal in the past and it worked, I have no idea how it works because it looks like lime cordial. Most of the other products show up quite clearly in the coolant as they make it cloudy but steel seal doesn't so you'd probably never know it had been used.

20. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I suspect that's what our local garage used after they did the H/G on mrs Robo's Freelander and it failed a few days later so they had it back for a day and put some liquid stuff in it which cured the leak, but we traded it in quickly before it went again.

8ob likes this.
Advertisements