Harrison m500 gearbox parts wanted.

1. andy176 Member

Hi I have a Harrison m500 which has just took 4 teeth of a gear at the bottom of the spindle gearbox which drives onto the gear ring on the spindle it's a 52 tooth gear. Does anyone know of any for breaking or anyone who would have the parts, I can buy new but have to buy all 3 gears and the shaft I think the 400, 450 and 550 may be the same any help is appreciated thank.

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

Andy,

Do you mean the screwcutting gearbox or in the headstock? If it's in the headstock it's quite likely to be non-standard.

3. andy176 Member

Hi Pete

Yea it's the headstock where the spindle is driven from. Yea it will Harrison/600 group part was hoping to find one breaking as I'm not 100% sure what has caused it to break teeth and hesitant to spend the money on a complete gear cluster for it to do it again as I was only screw cutting at the time it happened.

4. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

The gear that is damaged, is it fixed or does it slide on its shaft? Is it possible it was meshed with two gears at once, caused by a weak detent possibly?

5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You need to figure out what went wrong before buying new ones.

There’s a company in Basildon, they make gears from scratch, I can get you their details if you want from my Machinist friends at work.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

@pressbrake might be able to advise he is very knowledgable when it comes to big lathes.

7. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

M.G & A. Engineering.

8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That is most likely the one

Advertisements