Harrison L5 advice needed

1. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a 1963 Harrison L5 which I plan to use to assist in the maintenance, repair and restoration of my ever growing collection of old cars. I rebuilt a 4 speed gearbox for my 1936 Morris 8 a couple of years ago and whilst I was able to use a lathe at work to make a new layshaft, it would have been so much more convenient to have done that at home.

Having not paid a vast amount for the lathe, I have now had a chance to give it a good looking over and have managed to fix a couple of issues already. The clutch now works (more about that later) and the cross slide now moves back and forth without half a turn of slack (well maybe not quite half a turn, but quite a bit!).

I do now find however that I need a few parts. In particular, I need a clutch operating lever (the old one is sheared off flush with the boss), I'm short a few change gears (the lathe I mean, not me!) but these seem to be fairly readily available so I'll gradually pick those up as I go along. More of a concern is that the change gear that is fitted has been mounted on a large bolt rather than the spindle assembly thingy that should be there, so one of those would be useful! I also need a set of levelling bolts which are proving difficult to source and at some point I'd like to add a lubricating system.

I've tried the usual search on ebay and the like and have put a couple of feelers out but if anyone can suggest where I might get these parts I'd be most grateful.

Regards,

Richard.

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

Hi Richard,

I should think that all of those parts can be made on your lathe. Te clutch lever is just apiece of bar, threaded both ends with a bend in it. The gear hub is easily made. For levelling I just take 16mm bolts and weld huge washers to them.

eLuSiVeMiTe and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Hi Richard & welcome aboard :waving:. Can't help with the parts but there are a few on here who have Harrisons and I'm sure will be along to help/advise soon.

Meantime, as we say....... worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

4. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

Thanks for the tip on the bar. I dare say I couuld make the spindle, anyone have a drawing? The parts list shows that it's made up of a handful of separate parts.

Thanks for the welcome Slim.

And here's the pic!

Can't wait to get using it :)

By the way Slim, whereabouts are you up there in Scotland? We regularly holiday up in the far north.

• 20180929_132645.jpg
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Good man, well done on the pic :thumbup: I'm in Bonar Bridge, 40 miles North of Inverness [or up near the moon, if you prefer......:whistle: :D].

roofman likes this.
  6. Pete.

Pete. Member

Stick up a picture of the gear carrier that is not right. Maybe someone can point you at one.

7. rory1

rory1 Member

I sent @Brad93 a copy of the l5 manual wich had some parts diagrams. Maybe he can help

8. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

Hi Pete,

Here are a couple of pics that show the change gear carrier and the sizeable bolt that is currently holding the change gear in place. As a result, the gear is quite sloppy.

• 20181002_175802.jpg
    • 20181002_175823.jpg
  9. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

Hi Pete,

Seems it's not just a length of bar threaded at both ends!

I welded a nut onto the remains of the lever that had been snapped off flush and when I 'unscrewed' it, I found the remains of a spline!

Hey ho, poo happens.

• 20181002_181245.jpg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I’ll get some pictures in a minute. However they are rough exploded diagrams rather than detailed drawings of parts.

A call to the 600 group may or may not yield some results. It’s hit and miss from what I’ve heard.

11. Pete.

Pete. Member

Is that the lever or the actuating shaft?

12. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

Hi Pete,

That was the lever.

I'll just cross drill and pop a roll pin in the new one when I make it.

Hi Brad,

Silly question - what's the 600 group?

Cheers,

13. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The company that now owns harrison, Colchester and Boxford.

14. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

Ah, ok.

Are they easy enough to find?

15. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Google should yield their contact details.

16. Pete.

Pete. Member

It would be a cold day in hell before I paid 600 group £100+ for a bit of bent bar with a plastic knob on the end.

eLuSiVeMiTe and Brad93 like this.
  17. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

It would be nice and jewelled or pearl chrome whatever they call it though.

Someone’s painted all the levers on mine unfortunately.
    Makes me wonder if there is anyone out there doing that sort of finish.

18. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I had some satin chrome done at a plater just up the road from me 30 odd years ago. They're still in business, so no reason to think they don't still do it. It was bloody expensive though, I think around £35 for three or four handles from an ancient Colchester.

http://www.premierplatingworks.co.uk/chrome-plating.php#focusPoint

19. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

Hmm... Well I called them (The 600 Group) and whilst they didn't actually laugh out loud I swear I could hear them in the background!

Mind you, I was put off as soon as I saw a drop down menu on their home page entitled 'Investor Information'! It's just not right.

Anyway, I think I have the lever issue sorted now (I'll simply make one) and I've ordered up some 1" hex bar to make some levelling pins (by the way, I did finally track down a source of 7/8" BSW bolts and they wanted £96 for 5!). I do still need this spindle thing for the change gear so would appreciate either a drawing of one, some photographs that I can take some drawings from, or best of all, if someone out their has one I could borrow to draw up, I'd appreciate the loan.

Thanks all for your tips so far!

Regards,

Richard.

20. Pete.

Pete. Member

What diameter is the lever stub you removed?

Advertisements