Harrison 600 Milling Machine

1. Guzzi Fuzzi

Guzzi Fuzzi Member

Hi all,

I am Alex from Germany, be 53 years old. Since three weeks I am a proud owner of a Harrison Vertical and Horizontal Milling Machine (Type 600).

This Machine is made for Germany equipped with a metric System, painted in RAL6011 (I don't know if it is right).

It is in a nice condition and built approx. in 1980.

I am wondering if anybody can help me out with a manual and a spare part list.

I am looking forward to get in contact with you.

Best Regards
    Alex

• Screenshot_20200302-191157_eBay%20Kleinanzeigen.jpg
    Gwil, Stupoty, garethp and 6 others like this.
  2. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

3. Agroshield Member

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, Alex :waving: This is a nice place to be, lots of help & advice available on a whole range of subjects. :thumbup:

Parm likes this.
  5. Guzzi Fuzzi

Guzzi Fuzzi Member

Thank you very much for your help.:clapping:

I am looking forward contacting you if I have any problems with my nice Milling Machine.

I took it on board last week. This is my first REAL Milling Machine. My very first one is a EMCO FB2. Very nice but a bit too small for my projects.

Now I did the first measuring checks with a micrometer on the table and it look really good to me. I am planning to over hole the machine a bit, not too much but I will give it a new paint and a couple of small repairs.

I will send some pictures during my process.

Last thing I have on my list. This machine is built with an inch system, that means I need bolts and tools to fit. My Friend is sharing the workshop with me, is a fan of American heavy metal Cars. He has tools and bolts ect. in inches. My question, is this the same inch system like in UK?:dontknow:

Cheers
    Alex

• upload_2020-3-19_11-6-17.gif
  6. RobCox

RobCox Member

Hi Alex,

Yes and no! You will need to determine what thread form the bolts and nuts are if you are to obtain the correct replacements. The US tends to use UNC/UNF which is a 60 degree thread, whereas some of the UK made machines use BSW/BSF which is a 55 degree thread. Sometimes you can get away with using the "wrong" thread, but they're not always the same - 1/2" is 13 TPI for UNC but 12 TPI for BSW.

Rob

Dieselkid 63 and Hopefuldave like this.
  7. Guzzi Fuzzi

Guzzi Fuzzi Member

Thanks Rob for your answer, this is quite complicated.
    So in other words I don't have any other choice as pull out some bolts and measure it.
    Can I still get these kind of UK bolts or is it an old system which is no longer in use?

Cheers
    Alex

8. Pete.

Pete. Member

I suspect that the majority of fasteners will be BSW (Whitworth), BSF or UNF. I quite merrily substitute the same-pitch BSW and UNC fasteners if I need to.

Whilst they are not common in the UK, they are not difficult to find. If you need any just shout and I'm sure someone will oblige.

Made in 1980 is might even have metric bolts.

9. MBB Forum Supporter

I have a pdf copy of the manual.
    Send me an email address and I will forward it.

slim_boy_fat, Pete. and Dr.Al like this.
  10. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Definitely worth measuring to be sure (I've got a table on my website to help with this in case it's useful - measure diameter and pitch in millimetres and then look up the various options).

You can buy BSW/BSF/UNC/UNF fasteners, they're just likely to be a lot more expensive than more civilised metric threads!

Guzrik and Hopefuldave like this.
  11. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

I find BSW, BSF, BA and even BSCY fasteners readily available. Lots of folk restore old English cars and motorcycles where they are commonly used.

Gwil, Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  12. Guzzi Fuzzi

Guzzi Fuzzi Member

Cool, this list is briliant!

thanks, unfortunately this machine is still equipped with Inch stuff.

I will try some stuff from my "US-Guy" and have a look if it fits. :thumbup:

Cheers
    Alex

13. Matthew Tinker Member

I suggest you invest in Whitworth/BSF, tap and die sets, easier than buying nuts and bolts on a Sunday afternoon!

Cheers, Matthew

Hopefuldave likes this.
  14. MBB Forum Supporter

Manual sent, may take a while for it to download as its quite large.

15. Pete.

Pete. Member

Matt is right you won't find BSW stuff over there.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  16. Carl Wilson Member

Hello,

That is a very nice example of these machines. The 600 on the side is not the model of the machine. It refers to the 600 Group, which is made up of British machine tool and accessories manufacturers, the likes of Harrison, Colchester, Pratt Burnerd and similar.

I have the horizontal version of this machine that is equipped with a vertical head. Mine is slightly older dating to around 1969 I think. I am currently engaged in a restoration of this machine and I have a thread running on this site detailing the work I've done. Please feel free to have a look.

I can confirm that the fasteners on these machines are UNC and UNF. This means "Unified National Coarse/Fine. This was a thread standard adopted by Britain, the US and Canada after World War 2. The thread angle is 60 degrees like metric but the threads are denoted by the number of teeth per inch.

Good luck and enjoy using your new machine. Any questions and I will do my best to answer.

Edit:- I have just realised we have the same machine. Yours is a horizontal with vertical head attachment too.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Hopefuldave and slim_boy_fat like this.
  17. MBB Forum Supporter

Whitworth and unc unf are compatible with each other the difference is the thread angle. 1/2 whit is 12tpi !/2" unc is 13tpi

18. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Only 1/4 to 716 Whit if I recall correctly. And they don't always screw together.

There's no correlation between BSF and UNF , certainly on the smaller commonly used sizes.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  19. Carl Wilson Member

It's not good practice to mix thread systems like that. There is no correlation between the BSW/F and Unified system.

Similarly people will often try to mate BSPP and NPT bits together. It's not really a good idea.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  20. MBB Forum Supporter

AGreat number of whit and Unc are the same pitch. I kow its not good practice but it can help if you don't have the correct screw /nut

Advertisements