Hardfacing

1. Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal Member

Hi guys and gals, been a while!
    Anyways, does anybody have any recommendation for hardfacing rods.
    Am wanting to make a security ground anchor for my motorbike, that i can concrete into garage floor to pass a chain through.
    Have a shackle thats no good at work due to a missing pin, and am going to use this so it lays flat when not used.
    Am wanting to hardface it so it cant be cut with bolt cutters, but is not my area at all and dont know what to look for :whistle:

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. wyn

wyn Member

I used to use Metrode hardfacing rods in quarrying. Met-hard 650 was good. If you really wanted to go to town on stuff then met-hard 950.

3. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

You might find some inspiration on the Pragmasis website, they make really robust chains and security products.

https://securityforbikes.com/

4. Arclikeharrypotter Member

You'll probably find something like Utp Dur 7200 are a good bet as they are designed for impact resistance rather than wear resistance. Anything with carbide although will be super hard will also be very brittle.
    Reality of it is it would probably be easier to just make a shackle out of something thicker!

Memmeddu likes this.
  5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

The best you can get contain 25 / 30 %Cr and about 5% Carbon........as hard, tough and corrosion resistant as it gets........they can also withstand dilution from mild steel and remain very resiliant.

Yamhon likes this.
  6. eddie49 Member

Build a box with a lid and one side open, from 6 to 10mm plate, and concrete that into the floor around the shackle.

SteScouse likes this.
  7. Richard.

Richard. Member

They’ll always go for the chain mate.
    I wouldn’t bother hardfacing the anchor just make it really thick. Quench harden it if you want to make it harder but no point concentrating too much time on it with hardfacing materials. You’ll find cutting even the finest chain link is far easier for them to get through than the anchor point.

SteScouse and Parm like this.
  8. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Surely for the cost of making a hardfaced anchor, you can buy one pre-made?

Bike magazine did a great comparision of locks and chains a while ago, it was really impressive to see the difference between the cheaper chains and the "sold secure gold" chains which took over 3 whole minutes to cut through with a grinder.

9. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

So true. Battery grinders and Liquid Nitrogen make short work of locks and chains. Far better to stop them getting in the building in the first place.

SteScouse, premmington, Parm and 2 others like this.
  10. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Yup; I always recommend Pragmasis and Almax chains, now up to 22mm thick and designed for security.

SteScouse likes this.
  11. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

There's not much you can do nowadays except make it more difficult for the thieving bar stewards.They do not like bright light and noise but even then your risking confronting them tooled up.

BarrieJ, Parm and Richard. like this.
  12. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

13. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

I have two German Shepherds. Odd how fast they can make a stranger run, but fortunatley we dont get much bother of that sort.

As for noise, night vision and a silencer is probably best!

14. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Bikes are not just at risk in the middle of the night; my own bike was damaged in an attempted theft around 3pm in the afternoon, luckily they didn't get away with it, but the damaged to my friends and my own bikes added up to quite the bill nevertheless.

15. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Even the way they burgle houses now is professional. They start with the younger ones trying doors at night and you'll be surprised how many are left unlocked. Then they tag the property with a mark . When they come back if the door is open the younguns will take whatever is valuable then they'll hide it somewhere . Then somebody with a van will pick the gear up. So unless they are caught in the actual act or leave DNA they get away with it. Even the guy that picks the gear up can say he found it dumped.

16. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

And the Police arent interested. Two mates have been burgled recently, both have CCTV of the events. The Police havent even been round. Its obvious thay have given up on Burglarly so the Theives can do what they want. They have to be very unlucky to get caught, even when named on Facebook. Yet if you protect your belongings you are likely to be prosecuted. Another mate has some classic cars sitting in a lock up and the tea leafs found out. After 3 attempts, causing much damage but never getting any of the cars, he installed one of those swhotgun cartridge / sheet of glass things. It went off and amazingly the Police turned up and threatened him with prosecution.

steveo3002, slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  17. Wonderweaver

Wonderweaver Member

Yeah it's a joke. They cannot protect the communitys nor will they allow communitys to protect themselves.

Brad93 and BarrieJ like this.
  18. BarrieJ Member

Offered for information only:

The proportion of crimes solved by police in England and Wales has fallen to the lowest level recorded, according to Home Office data.

In the 12 months to March, 7.8% of offences saw someone charged or summonsed, down from 9.1% a year ago.

The ONS figures show there were 43,516 offences involving a knife or sharp instrument in the 12 months to March - the highest since comparable records began in 2011. The figures exclude Greater Manchester Police which records its data differently.

There were a total of 85,736 offences of robbery, but a 3% fall in burglary.

The total number of killings increased to 701 offences from 693 in the previous 12 months, excluding terror attacks.

Meanwhile, figures show there has been a small increase in the number of police officers in England and Wales over the last year.

northwest, WorkshopChris and Parm like this.
  19. Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal Member

After looking into the cost of them (none in the stores at work at all), thats what i decided on. Made up the anchor and hardened the shackle, quenching it in oil. Its a good thickness anyway so am confident in it, just the fact it's there.
    The chain itself is either Chromoly or Chrome Vanadium one or the other and the links are 14mm thick so should be ok. If someones going to nick it, its going to happen, just wanted to make it as awkward as possible so acting as a deterrent if anything.

20. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I'm cheap and nobody nearby has hardfacing rods or are to expensive to me , because I'm hobbyist etc
    So I use 308L rods and I quench the bead , for what I need it works well

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements