GYS SmartMIG 162: i have one! Questions? Feel free to ask.....

1. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

Hey all,

just putting this here in case any members here have a question about this welder, i might be of help.

Disclaimer: this is my first welder and i have next te zero welding experience :scared:

I'll update this thread when i recieve my new toy :D further projects will be posted in the appropiate sections.

cheers

Maarten.

ps: i uploaded the manual for reference Gys Smartmig 162.jpg

Retired, daleyd and Hood like this.
  2. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

It has landed!!!!

First impressions:

for the price it looks and feels like a good quality piece of kit. Sturdy build, good paint, the switches and the knob for wirespeed don't feel flimsy. The torch feels good and it is a EURO torch (pro), albeit a bit short with 2.2m (con) so if it becomes a nuisance (or breaks) you can buy a longer one.

GYS clearly have made savings in some departments like the earthclamp (not detachable) and wheels, particularly the backwheels. The small steel hub clamps the rod/axle, which should only be done on small toys, i'd rather see a small throughole and a pin to lock the wheels and prevent them from coming loose.
    The back axle is guided through 2 small plates inserted in little slots. It works, but thats about it.

I'll hope my flowmeter, 0.8wire and some other bits and bobs arrive for this weekend. I'll try and get my hands on some steel for some practice runs :welder:

I'll keep you posted!

GYSarrived.jpg

Shipped boxed like this, no further packaging

GYS1.jpg
    Obligatory Coffeemug for size:drunk:

GYS2.jpg

Other side

GYSwheelhub.jpg

Wheelhub / axle retainer

slim_boy_fat and Hood like this.
  3. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

These Star Lock washers are surprisingly robust and secure, just a bit of a pain to remove without breaking them.

4. eddie49 Member

Nice shiny yellow toy! I'd really like to see the electronics inside, without the casing, but I do understand that it's under warranty.... Maybe the wirefeed assembly?
    What is the situation with gas in NL ? Are you going for solid or "self-shielding" wire?

5. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

I''ll be using a 85/15 CO2/Argon mix.

i bought a 20 liter bottle because, per liter, it is signicantly cheaper to fill then a smaller 10 liter bottle.

bottle
    10 liter..............€199,-
    20 liter..............€299,-

Filling
    10 liter...............€40,-
    20 liter...............€50,-

i am no einstein but..........what the questionmark? :dontknow:

With buying the bottle you participate in a trading system, it''s a company called Supergas and they have numerous gasdealers. I can just simply trade my empty bottle for a new one and only pay the filling, real easy.

• Gasbottle.jpg
  6. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

@Hood

ok, thats surprising, time will tell but i'll take your word for it, thanks for reassuring me.

@eddie49
    i fear the electronics will be a no-no but i will take some pics of the wirefeed unit, no problem!

7. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

Haggis sniffs something froggy...uuhh fishy :D

Haggis.jpg

8. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

Little update, unfortunately i didn't got a chance to weld some.

Some of you asked or contacted me for some more pics of the SmartMIG, so here we go:

wirefeeder1.jpg

Open wirefeeder, plastic but pretty nice build i reckon. 40watt motor according tot GYS and it feels like it's got some power feeding it through while i was setting the tension.

wirefeeder2.jpg

Closed feeder with setting/markings on the knob.

reelholder with brake.jpg

Reelholder with the knurled nut to set compres the rubber sleeve to act as a brake to prevent backspin of the reel and causing a feeding problem.

Wirereel in place.jpg

Reel endcap with the little platisch protruding thingy (sorry i'm Dutch) to drive the wirereel

Revolution R210CMS.jpg

I know how to operate a grinder but i hate them, i'm not that precise with them so i bought this little chopsaw.

I choose a saw over a abrisive wheel because of the coldcutting and less cleanup and no sparks. It's also a very cheap piece of kit, quality is about "meh" but it's faster and more acurate then me with a cut off wheel.

Here'sthe link to the manufacturer for some specs
    https://evolutionpowertools.com/uk/build/mitresaws/r210cms/

Enough capacity for me, i'll mostly be using 1-4mm box, angle, strip, et cetera.

safetygear.jpg

And remember kids! WEAR YOUR GEAR.

I once got a shard of laminate flooring in my cornea because i wasn't wearing my safetyglasses because they sucked.

Little trip the local hardware store and then i found these from the MSA brand, no more fogging, and very comfortable, these i will just keep wearing, i barely notice them. Such glasses cost around 10 pound mark.

To be continued :)

eddie49 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

@eddie49 i fogot to tag you, check my post above this, i made some pics for ya :waving:

Please feel free to ask if you want to know more :thumbup:

10. eddie49 Member

Maarten, thank you.
    The wirefeed assembly may be only plastic, but it looks like it has been made very carefully.
    Using a rubber sleeve on the spindle bolt as a "brake" for the wire spool is a novel idea !

11. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

@eddie49
    You're welcome, yeah i only seen a spring, placed under the retaining nut, to function as sort of a brake.

12. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Not that new, my spool gun had that 25 years ago :D

MaartenNL likes this.
  13. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

new to us/me ;)

Hood likes this.
  14. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

Finally got round for some practice....

first i made a makeshift welding table.......i later hooked the ground on my workpiece so to be sure i wasn't having grounding issues to rule out if i was having trouble welding

table.jpg

First attempt........well.......the term "hammered dog shite" springs to mind....

first.jpg

Little troubleshooting learned me this........7 cubic feet/hour is not 7 liters per minute......i read the wrong scale

dumbass.jpg

Stay tuned, more to follow shortly!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

first i prepped my workpieces off course.....i later found out that the flat strip is 5 mm instead of the 2 i thought it was....stupid...i wasn't thinking clear i suppose. I found out after trying to figure out why my welds didn't have penetration on those.

I ground the millscale and a little 45-ish bevel on everything.

prep1.jpg

prep2.jpg

Prep3.jpg

16. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg
    04.jpg

05.jpg
    06.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg
    09.jpg

eddie49, Mick Annick and Hood like this.
  17. MaartenNL

MaartenNL Member

i really enjoy welding, but i'm gonna have to put in some time and some guidance from a mate to up my game.

The GYS works fine, it's just me having a litle trouble finding the right settings and not eaxctly knowing what to look and listen for.

But hey, all in good time i quess :D

Hood likes this.
Advertisements