Grinding mask/goggles to be worn with glasses

1. MysterG

MysterG Member

I've tried searching but can't find what I'm looking for.

I'm after goggles/mask for use when grinding that fits over glasses and allows use of ear defenders. Can't use in-ear plugs unfortunately.

Does such a thing exist?

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. AndersK Member

Memmeddu likes this.
  3. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Memmeddu and MysterG like this.
  4. MysterG

MysterG Member

@AndersK Never been sure that a full face shield would be that impervious to sparks bouncing in?

@Shedendman Hmm. They might be worth a punt. I'd buy some smaller glasses if I had to.

5. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I struggled with this for a long time - goggles, safety glasses or any other glasses don't seem to be especially compatible with ear defenders if you want the ear defenders to seal around your ears.

In the end I bought a 3M G500 face shield and it's been a revelation. Not cheap, but worth every penny in my opinion. I use it for any loud work I'm doing - hammer drilling, grinding, cutting, sometimes hammering stuff as well if there's a chance of chips...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headgear-Combination-Industrial-G500V5F11H51-GU/dp/B012TJUJC8/

I've since spent even more money and upgraded the ear defenders to be Optime III versions as I'm a sensitive soul when it comes to loud noises (any 3M helmet mounted ear defenders can attach to the G500). The standard ones work fine, it's just more peaceful with the higher-end defenders.

Memmeddu and MysterG like this.
  6. MysterG

MysterG Member

@Dr.Al Does it offer enough eye protection when grinding though, given it's not sealed to your face in any way?

7. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

It's not perfect, but the face shield is a lot more curved than most that I've come across (compared to something like this). As a result there's less chance of sparks getting up under the visor. You can also fit an extra layer of safety glasses inside the G500 - they look like this - as they attach to the helmet you can adjust them to sit down on your cheeks to stop stuff bouncing upwards. I bought some at the same time as my helmet but to be honest I rarely pull them down from their slot inside the headband.

Assuming you keep your head pointing in a sensible direction, it would take quite a bounce (off your chest) for a spark to make it under the G500's visor.

The only ones I've found that are completely sealed to the face tend to be mesh visors designed for forestry work (which I wouldn't trust to stop grinding sparks).

MysterG likes this.
  8. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Oh, when I'm using the angle grinder, I usually have one of these on under the helmet; given the plastic thing at the front of it just touches the visor, any sparks would have to bounce off my chest, then off the inside of the visor and back into my eyes. I think I'm safe. Sounds like famous last words, doesn't it...

slim_boy_fat and MysterG like this.
  9. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    @Shedendman Hmm. They might be worth a punt. I'd buy some smaller glasses if I had to.[/QUOTE]

Deffo go for them,best i've had so far,same pair for near on 6 months now the vision is just as good as when new,dont mist up either

MysterG likes this.
  10. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Continuing on the ear defender part of this discussion.

I have several pairs of elderly but clean MSA Sordin ear defenders to BS EN352-1 : 1993 (I retired a while ago)

They have a 3.5mm jack socket, but it is impractical to use a lead with the mobile phone.

I have seen this on Amazon and wonder if anyone has any experience of them? Listening to audiobooks whilst mowing the lawn and being able to use the phone would be very useful!

11. I used a standard full face mask and ear defenders, it works out ok. Ear defenders round back of head rather than over the top.

[​IMG]

Memmeddu, Shedendman and MysterG like this.
  12. MysterG

MysterG Member

I have a couple of them (same company older models) and use one to provide a bluetooth input to a soundbar and one bluetooth output from a TV. Work fine although pairing can be slow sometimes.
    Not sure how firmly one might stay put attached to ear defenders though.

rtcosic likes this.
  13. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Came back to apologise to @MysterG for unwarranted digression.

Thank you for your comment. The price is low enough to give them a try. Maybe ask for them as a Valentine's day gift?

14. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    So,i'm not alone
    The Aldi grinder with wire brush,great for old underseal removal,dont you just love the stuff:laughing::laughing::clapping:

15. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

MysterG likes this.
  16. AndersK Member

Actually the only times I have needed medical care is when I have used certified protection glasses.
    The face shields are better in most situations.

17. ukracer Forum Supporter

Has any one seen the 3m helmet without the ear defenders??

18. vbottles Member

Have you looked at second hand 3m powered respirators with face mask? I use a 3m Jupiter with a hard head piece that has ear muffs and full face visor. The best part is there is a seal that goes around the face to stop any bouncing bits of grit getting through. You also stay cool inside the helmet from the air flow. New they are shockingly expensive. But I bought mine for £100 off evilbay , twice as it a cheap way of getting new battery's.
    I recently saw a versaflo with good headpiece but no charger for £80 on Farsebook.
    Andrew

19. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I'm not sure what you mean really. You can buy the headband on its own (without visor or ear defenders) and presumably you can buy the visor.

You can remove the ear defenders or (as I often do) swing them up out the way: they sit very comfortably above the headband.

20. ukracer Forum Supporter

I could not find the headband and visor for sale without ear defenders ,although I could find the visor separately.

Advertisements