Grille pan handle not included

1. Blackolive

Blackolive Member

uk lancs
    Old built under oven is dying. been looking at new ones which is a horrible task in itself, She's moaning cause Ive picked an £800 AEG because it doesnt have any horrible flimsy looking plastic control knobs.

Anyway Im looking at specs for cheaper ovens and they are all saying grille pan- handle not included.

Whats that all about ? are they available as a separate item, or are we supposed to spend £400 ish on a new appliance then have to cobble a handle together, or is their design such that they dont need handles ?

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    EU regulations. Grill handle would get too hot. It's a safety feature.

3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Haven't seen a grill handle for years.
    Just use a glove same as an oven tray. No drama

123hotchef, Wany and Parm like this.
  4. Blackolive

Blackolive Member

uk lancs
    madness

slim_boy_fat, fizzy and Lazurus like this.
  5. julianf

julianf Member

I find this hard to believe, but am happy to be proved wrong -

If you know it's a regulation, would you be able to to link me in to the directive?

Parm likes this.
  6. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

winchman, Maker, Morrisman and 3 others like this.
  7. Migmac

Migmac Member

SausageFingers, Parm, fizzy and 2 others like this.
  8. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Looks like it, there might be other sales type EU legislation, I don’t know anything about that

9. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    If you, like me, are used to your mum's grille pan, with its firmly attached handle, the relatively modern idea of one that is loose and sort of hooks under and over the pan is crap all on it's own - it you don't get it quite hooked on, you can't hang onto the bacon as it and the pan slide slowly sideways out of it and across the kitchen . . .

10. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

We purchased a new Flavell gas cooker about 3 months ago and that came with one of those despicable detectable grill pan handles.... which IMHO are dangerous!

11. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

Yes, had to buy a new oven, and grill handle separate. There again, oven it was replacing (15 years old), also had no handle. Just manufacturers making up ‘rules’ to either cover their backsides, or cut manufacturing costs IMHO.

zx9 and Parm like this.
  12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well I only just made it up so was a bit surprised to find it's already been mythbusted!

:D

Morrisman and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  13. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

buy any one under £299 with fan there all the same near enought unless you want the self cleaning
    even the ones that have metal fronts and buttens the print wear off it dont seam to stay on there as well as the plastic im asuming the plastic get a coating over the top the metal does not

when broken the cheap ovens units are generaly the same so parts are cheap for most off the internet

14. julianf

julianf Member

You want to watch out, making stuff up like that. People might believe you, and then where would we be....

Parm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    That's not the point. It should be really obvious nonsense but it points to the truth of the matter which is there is an agency out there whose entire business model is to invent new rules, terms and conditions in order to make themselves indispensable.

fizzy and Richiew like this.
  16. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

it's a welding forum weld the handle on no problem ours is the same SHMBO just chucked it in the bin

eLuSiVeMiTe and Parm like this.
  17. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

When the grater population can’t be trusted to operate a grill pan with attached handle safely, you can’t help but think, humanity is doomed :confused:

BarrieJ, Morrisman, Parm and 3 others like this.
  18. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Most grills will not work while the door is open, so the handle has to be removable otherwise it would obstruct the door and get too hot to handle.

Ours won’t work unless the door is shut, I think its extremely dangerous if you forget and stand too close to the door when opening, you get a face full of blazing hot steam and oils/fats. Its like cs-gas.

Parm likes this.
  19. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

bring back the high level grill in fashion

• KA52NES_1_Supersize.jpg
    MattF, mtt.tr, Shox Dr and 1 other person like this.
  20. 4String. Member

That brings back many happy memories of the one in my dear old Mum’s kitchen back in Sheffield.

Advertisements