Great site

1. vwjaz Member

Just found this site and wanted to say it's brilliant...
    tutorials and advice are 1st class :cool:

Not been welding long and experienced same as other queries on here...
    some welds fine-other times there definately not for public viewing ;)

I will probably take advice re 8mm tip with 6mm wire...
    currently doing partners bus for MOT and it's worse than we thought :( half of the bottom side panel has now been cut off eeek, which means welds will be on show

Well thats all I wanted to add for now, will keep checking, recommend this site for anyone who asks about welding

Cheers :cool:

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Thanks for your kind words and for joining in. My old bus ended up needing a whole new bottom foot of bodywork (though I might have got a little salt in there at one point). Keep at it and all the welds will be good. It's satisfying doing that sort of thing yourself.

3. vwjaz Member

as I said I'm really still novice stage....just between practicing and facing old rusty vehicles that fail their MOT :rolleyes: but I do enjoy it although I can't say I get an even weld every time....seam sealer helps ;)

Love the clear advice and tutorials from here :cool:

Just thought I'd mention we bought auto darkening welding mask-battery one for £38 well worth it....now at least I'm not continually walking into things

Can I ask question... did some welding the other day...thought partner had disconnected battery but he hadn't eeek....how much damage could I have caused? Break it to me gently

4. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

I've a feeling that disconnecting the battery is intended to break the electrical connections to other bits and bobs on the car to reduce the chance of damage to sensitive electrical components due to the high voltage from the welder going backwards and forwards around the wiring. The VW bus just has a few bulbs so you should be OK.

Makes sense to disconnect the alternator if you have one - the rectifier is quite easy to mess up.

Will have to risk an auto darkening helmet at some point myself. Especially if they have come down in price that much.

5. vwjaz Member

Thanks for reply...I have the older VW bus my partner has newer(ish) one well its '81 and has electronic ignition & alternator....I'm getting worried now

Unsure if all masks have come down in price, there was some fella selling the masks on a vw site...thought it was a good price, really makes a difference

Thanks again :cool:

6. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I am 100% sure it will be fine.

I did some welding on a brand spanking new Mercedes truck, special build body, about £100,000 worth.... told my helper to disconnect... but he didnt... thats a lot of electrics to mess up!!!
    But luckily it was okay!!!!

7. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    I purchased a solar auto-darkening helmet from guess where... E-Bay.
    I think I paid around £40 + carriage.
    Excellent so far and makes it possible to actually see what's happening.
    Rob

8. vwjaz Member

I hope so...haven't tried it yet as been doing some more welding...now with the battery disconnected glad to hear not the only one this has happened too...will let yous know how it fires up or not in near future..fingers crossed

Rob I can't praise them enough at the mo, had a second hand workshop helmet and the difference just amasing

Today made up a part that isnt available and welded that in...in a fashion :rolleyes: I blew fuse in welder when doing this...think I had just nuke it :???:

Also did top part of side panel with plug welds...I was constantly thinking of the tips given here and pleased with this part I did :mrgreen: :cool: now been grinded...Helpful hints...do not touch metal thats just been welded...ouch burnt my finger and thumb but I should have knew better

Can I ask a question...

Some areas are real difficult to get 100% clean is it possible to get decent welds in these areas? is there any tips for this...when I have watched scrap heap challenge I know they have big welders but they dont seem to spent hours cleaning up the metal...it's not that I want to cut corners it really is a nightmare on some very tight areas

ta

9. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    My best tip... Get a Dremmel or similar.
    Small enough to get into all the corners and the number of attachments is mindboggling. Cutting, grinding, cleaning, etc.
    Best bit tho' when i bought it I got a £10 Thresher voucher!
    Have fun
    Rob

10. vwjaz Member

Always wanted a dremmel which sounds a bit lame but I have...thing that always stopped me, I didn't know anyone who had used one, so had no real idea how they were...kicking self now as they were on sale at xmas...still will keep eyes peeled for one

Managed to get back wheel arch on today inbetween light snow showers....still long way to go and alot of practicing :twisted:

11. Hitch

Somerset
    If you have a compressor, i would pick a die grinder over a dremel everytime.

12. vwjaz Member

I have a compressor, got one out of the local ads for £50 - 3hp 150 litre receiver, works well previously used in dental lab and they was just updating ...dont mention marathon man :rolleyes:

haven't heard of die grinder going to do a search now...cheers :cool:

13. vwjaz Member

which die grinder should I go for or are they all the same?

cheers :)

14. RobIsaacson Member

Northamptonshire
    No compressor and if I had one I'd need to clear space to keep it.
    I'm sure they are very useful tho'
    Rob

15. Hitch

Somerset
  16. vwjaz Member

Rob, we touched lucky with the compressor and yes has been brill...strangley enough didn't think on to look for air tools relating to rust removal how stupid is that :rolleyes:

Been just using usual tools...i.e. grinder with various heads on it, drill bits again with just wire brush effects...so it's been slow labourous process or not able to get into certain areas

Think treat time is quickly approaching cheers Hitachimad for the advice :cool:

Done more today and my arm is about to drop off...all good fun :mrgreen:

Advertisements