Grand old lady

1. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    I went to look at this grand old lady the other day and a few hundred dollars later it was mine.

1191490216.jpg

It is just beautifully put together, from the detailed makers plate to the nice counter-balance mechanism for the blade guide and runs like a sewing machine. The table tilts in both directions and you can select (with belts) just about any speed you like.

1191490482.jpg

1191490603.jpg

I'm not intending to restore it any time soon (I have too many other projects right now) but I thought it was worth a 'show-and-tell'

ronan, optima21, Dcal and 19 others like this.
  2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    looks a nice bit of kit!

3. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

Thats a nice saw! I like the plaque - one for @Dieselkid 63 to do :laughing:

'Made under licence from Grob Bros' - Havent heard about them before!

Dieselkid 63 likes this.
  4. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    They have very similar saws on their website and spares as well! Looks like around $10,000 for a new one.

5. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

Feel free to send me the plaque and I’ll do it for the cost is return postage.

Ton-up likes this.
  6. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    That's a very kind offer and one which I may take you up on, thank-you.

In the short term there is one door hinge needs mending and I may convert it back to 3 phase so that I can use a VFD that I happen to have sitting on the shelf.

7. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Fetched it home on the trailer last night, it was only a few miles from home. Bloody hell! that thing is heavy; I'm guessing three-quarters of a ton. Turns out you can get the drawings for it on the Grob site. It's an NS series 18" saw.

slim_boy_fat, Dcal and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  8. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Anyone know what the foot-pedal mechanism is for? It's incomplete on this saw and I can't quite work it out from the drawing. Likewise the bar full of holes that sits on the table at right angles to the blade (S 1134 on the drawing). Apparently a variety of different sized pegs go in it but why?

upload_2019-11-14_7-47-5.png

9. Dieselkid 63

Dieselkid 63 Banned from forklifts

On large saws I’ve worked on before, the foot pedal was a sort of dampener/brake. Wouldn’t actually stop the blade but meant the thing wasn’t free wheeling for five minutes after power had turned off.

Advertisements