Forged or bent ?

1. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Member

dorset
    I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post, but here goes.
    P1080402.JPG P1080403.JPG P1080404.JPG P1080405.JPG P1080406.JPG P1080402.JPG P1080403.JPG P1080404.JPG P1080405.JPG P1080406.JPG Looking for advice from learned folk hear as to weather these shackles are forged or bent. I need new longer replacement ones and think it would be difficult for me to bend mild steel bar at such a tight 90 degree angle in the shed. I'm thinking maybe replace with bolts instead , what advice do you have please? The width of the leaf spring is 50mm and shackle diameter is 13.3mm

2. Agroshield Member

You might need to refine your terminology a little or describe more fully what you are trying to convey.

Forging is a bending process among many other things. Forging can be done hot or cold if that is the distinction you are trying to make.

You might have better luck identifying the threads on the end of the shackle bolts and looking at the off-the-shelf options that share that thread.

3. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Forum Supporter

Overseas in California I went to a shop which only delt with truck springs and replacing them. I purchased new leaf springs and needed thicker spacer blocks for installing taller tires. After cutting and threading straight stock, I watched them bend the longer U-bolts for me. They actually used the ram of an older large shaper they had to do it, so I would be confident that U-bolts would be bent rather than forged.

truckdoctor and CompoSimmonite like this.
  4. m_c Member

Leaf spring U-bolts.

You'll get longer ones from a decent motor factors for not much money.
    They might not be as good a quality, and will likely have a different thread pitch so you can ignore any torque settings for the vehicle, but they'll do the job.

5. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Member

dorset
    If they have been forged they would be stronger than if only bent. If they have been forged then I cannot reproduce this therefor using stock bar may not have enough strength. My thoughts of using high tensile bolts could be the way to go. Why are "u bolts" used in this application ?

6. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Perhaps to save piercing the springs for a through bolt and introducing a stress riser.

truckdoctor likes this.
  7. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Member

dorset
    Wallace and brightspark like this.
  8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    Forging typically involves shaping the material which is formed into a new shape rather than merely bending into shape.

My seat of the pants guesstimate tells me that fixture type is chosen deliberately to allow some relative movement while still holding the leaf assembly in place. Almost as if the U bolt is a kind of flexure to allow some compliance in the assembly which, being a large springy thing, moves around a fair bit.

truckdoctor likes this.
  9. Matchless

Matchless I started with nothing, still have most of it left

I don't think it would be easy to replace those with bolts, U bolts should be readily available from a leaf spring stockist, not many left these days though, looks to me that the shock absorber may be a bit loose on the chassis,

truckdoctor and tom2207 like this.
  10. m_c Member

U-bolts allow for quicker assembly, and smaller top mounts.

There are some leaf springs that are held on with 4 bolts, but they're usually a pain to deal with, as you then need to get a spanner in to hold them, which is something you want to avoid with parts that generally corrode quite a bit. Plus the top mount has to be far larger to accommodate having 4 bolt holes, instead of just a hook for a u-bolt to catch.

truckdoctor and Matchless like this.
  11. tom2207 Member

looks like some one has added a spacer between the axle and the spring , be well worth checking that the centre bolt is long enough to go into the locating hole in the axle , it looks like they may be using the u bolts fit to locate the axle , no way of knowing till the springs off , but its worth keeping an eye on , if you need longer bolts are you adding leaves to the spring , or a thicker spacer again centre bolt head length to keep in mind.

truckdoctor likes this.
  12. Turbo Member

In some cases you can replace a u bolt with a suitably heavy plate to go across the spring with 2 holes for a pair of standard bolts. I don't think it would work in your case as the shackle looks like its shaped to fit the shock mount.

truckdoctor likes this.
  13. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

14. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Member

dorset
    Thanks for pointing the loose bolt. All tightened up now. Cheers

Matchless likes this.
  15. truckdoctor

truckdoctor Member

dorset
    Thanks for your reply, the "spacer" is a wedge piece that adjusts the castor angle.

Matchless likes this.
  16. Jay1st

Jay1st AdeptusMechanicus wanna be.

Classic Ubolt, you can have a look at offroad shops online, they have them for old 4x4 trucks.

truckdoctor and MCKDAVID like this.
  17. Matchless

saw that, need to do the same on my 1929 Dodge, drives ok, well for a 91 year old car with wooden wheels but when I tried to tow it using an A frame it would NOT self centre, in fact it did the opposite! suspect it needs a dose of castor..... you still need to make sure the spring centre bolt goes all the way through to the axle forging,

truckdoctor and tom2207 like this.
  18. Matchless

I have not lost it! I loved noticing things that my mechanics had missed, did not always point them out straight away, walked back past the vehicle a bit later without stopping and said "there is a loose bolt on the cross member" or similar, they thought I had Xray vision.....

truckdoctor, Wallace and tom2207 like this.
  19. mechman Member

What vehicle is it?

20. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    I would say that in this case forging and bending are pretty much the same thing, that is, to get a bend that tight would need some sort of forging process - hammering, pressing, rolling, heating.

truckdoctor likes this.
Advertisements