Forced patina techniques.

1. julianf

julianf Member

I've got a project on that I need to set apart from others.

I've got there steel boxes -

IMG_20190705_231649775.jpg IMG_20190705_231643275.jpg IMG_20190705_231703778.jpg IMG_20190705_231709206.jpg

5-off them will be held in a fancy curved frame, made from oiled mahogany. (actual mahogany, not sapel)

These are the steel templates for the ends to give an idea -

IMG_20190705_231922324.jpg

The whole thing is to mount fancy electronics in. It's a functional but also artistic job.

IMG_20190705_231809538.jpg

Now the "standard" way to finish these is just to powder coat them in black, but I'm looking for something more special.

What I'm toying with is some sort of forced rat-rod style patina. But then I'd want to clear coat it over. I'd want it fixed, not "evolving" (ie not continuing to rust)

I think that a bit of red on the steel will blend in the colours with the mahogany ends and make for a quality and interesting job.

You can get patina via rust then electrolysis, but it's black / grey, and I'd like it a bit more red.

So there's the background.

So, two things -

A) does anyone have any general idea
    B) clear coat over rust. Is that going to work in any way at all? I'm talking light rust, and not flaking, but clear coat is supposed to stick to base - I mean it's not a primer!

So what would you do? Again it's a artsey job, and I'm after technique, rather than subjective "rat rods are stupid" comments! : )

Thank you.

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

when i restored my vice that was rusty all i done was wax it a few times you can do the wood at the same time ?

how you rust it im not sure but sure i seen on here there is a bought gel etc that you paint on and does it in a half a week

3. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Don't know if this will work but....

Chuck come off cuts of steel in a bucket and lightly water with a watering can every day ( this may only take a day or two).
    Then lay the panel on a flat surface and pour over the rusty water and leave to dry.

Clear coat the resulting effect (hopefully not a mess!)

4. julianf

julianf Member

I've done waxed stuff before, and it's fine, but I don't want to force upkeep on the end user.

In my head, I'm seeing a glossy clear finish with the rat finish under.

Kind of like it's been vac packed?

5. Ruffian Member

We used to paint it red/orange/brown camouflage first kinda pattern.
    Then the top coat and then scorched areas to break through and re show the reds for worn rust spots.

Then lacquered that.

6. julianf

julianf Member

So completely fake - ie all paint, no actual rust?

Ruffian likes this.
  7. julianf

julianf Member

I suspect I can get the rust easy enough. I thought a dip in a caustic soda bath to take everything back to metal, and then a dousing in somthing like vinegar would do it pretty much instantly.

But then I need to get something over the top of that.

8. Ruffian Member

Yep completely fake but distressed looks.

9. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Have a look for rusting paint.
    Perfect for the job and used in loads of custom car projects

10. stuvy

stuvy Member

You can even get vinyl wrap in rust effect

I know someone that buried his cars wing after stripping the paint off it and poured milk over it. It rusted in no time

11. jimbo84 Member

Hydrogen peroxide hair dye

0EAE7E27-220D-4EC7-9C6C-8A045272500F.jpeg

Wiped down
    CC5CA64B-2297-4749-B4A7-3A324259B660.jpeg

slim_boy_fat, dobbslc and stuvy like this.
  12. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I can lend you a Jack Russell for a few days, they have a single jet wide angle patina enhancing gadget built into their undercarriage :thumbup:

Bob

Morrisman, mtt.tr, rtcosic and 11 others like this.
  13. julianf

julianf Member

So there are loads of ways to get the patina.

But again, I think the real question is, will clear coat go over it reliably?

What specific products should I be going for? And any application tips?

14. julianf

julianf Member

Had a quick look. Looks good in the photos, but the one I saw was £100 for 5 sq MTRS, which is probably half that on an awkward shape, and I fear thats quite a lot of cash Vs some vinegar and clear coat?

Have you used any yourself? If so, can I ask what brand? And did it work out nicely?

15. stuvy

stuvy Member

A long time back we made some steel railings and the chap had them wet lacquered. It rubbed through in no time on the hand rail

So he had it powder coated in clear lacquer and it was lovely and smooth but had the finish your after

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

surely if its wood then it needs some sort of maintance my vice its outside but under a canapy so sees all weathers but not directly all i do is wax it every few months

17. arther dailey Member

calcium chloride, mixed in water, normally comes in flakes, its used for fast drying concrete Without reinforcment, no doubt some will tell of the disasters with flats collapsing years back when it was used with reinforcing steel. need to nuetralise with plenty of water after use though.

stuvy likes this.
  18. Anguz

Anguz Forum Supporter

bedfordshire
  19. julianf

julianf Member

It's an indoor device, used to house electronics. I find that wax needs renewing even from general handling. In my experience, which may, or may not, be accurate, oiled wood lasts longer than wax on metal.

Either way though, I'd like a fancier finish than I think wax is.

20. julianf

julianf Member

Clear powder coat sounds good.

If I can I'd like to do an in house job, and I'm not set for powder coat.

I should setup really, as it comes up for me again and again, and it's only small parts that I get asked for, so a big catering oven would probably be large enough for anything I ever have to do.

Advertisements