Flux Cored MIG Wire AWS A5.29

1. Glensman Member

Hi All,

So I was at an auction and came across some 1.2mm Fluxcore wire and decided I would try to run Dual shield flux core since I was able to buy a roll of 15kg wire for £10.
    I run a GYS MonoGys, I rang the supplier and got 1.2mm knurled rollers and some 1.2mm contact tips. So Far so good.

I've only ran a few beads on some mild steel box section, and the results aren't fantastic.
    As a side note, I am not able to reverse the polarity on the machine, this may be holding me back?

Does anyone know anything about this cheap welding wire?
    It's MCW-FCW-E81 -- AWS A5.29 E81T1-Ni1M
    'MCW Offshore Supply Ltd'

Cheers

2. MichaelV

MichaelV Forum Supporter

Hi Glensman (Antrim?)

That's a rather high spec 1% Nickel FCAW consumable. It almost certainly runs electrode positive. What gas and flow rate are you running?

Michael

3. Glensman Member

Yep Antrim indeed.
    I'm able to get as much of this wire as I want at £10 per 15kg roll and like others I've watched APEX Welding get great results from Dual Shield.
    I run Air Products Argon CO2 mix, is it 7% at around 15 LPM.
    I did get some decent beads from my brief test, but I wondered if the Positive electrode was going to be a problem...

4. MichaelV

MichaelV Forum Supporter

Aye, when it's set up and running well, rutile cored wire is lovely to use.

I'd recommend you use Argoshield Heavy as the gas you're currently using is a bit lean on CO2. Up the flow rate to 20 l/min. Stick-out distance is a very important aspect for FCAW, and they can be rather sensitive to the voltage parameter.

Electrode positive is also correct; I'd say your machine is configured that way.

The wire you have is likely to compare to this:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...tershield-Outershield81Ni1-H/os81ni1h-eng.pdf

5. MichaelV

MichaelV Forum Supporter

...and if the rolls are reaching you without a sealed vac-pac, or it's 'punctured', then moisture ingress might be an issue.

You'd be paying quite a lot more for a wire of this type new from premium manufacturer!

6. Glensman Member

That document is really useful.
    You're right, I need a heavier gas and a higher flow rate.
    I'll bump the flow rate up tomorrow and see how I get on with it.
    The rolls are marked 2013 but the boxes are perfect and inside they're in a foil vac-pac. I bought 2 rolls to begin with to see how it would go...

The first few beads I ran I was pushing the puddle, but then I seen on YouTube "Where there's slag, you drag" but I have been too busy to try out since.

Will report back tomorrow!

7. MichaelV

MichaelV Forum Supporter

Very good :thumbup:

You must be building an offshore jacket in Red Bay or something!

Often with the rutile cored wires you can push a wee bit, but perhaps limit it to capping passes where it's desirable sometimes to achieve a flatter, wider bead.

Always keep the arc right at the front and read up the ESAB and Kobelco guidelines (among the clearest, IMHO) regarding torch angle, etc. Run stringer beads, rather than weaving. I've found travel speed needs to be a wee bit slower than with solid wire; but it depends a lot on position.

Watch out for the very strong arc... FCAW runs hot and bright (cf current density in tubular wire).

Enjoy :thumbup:

8. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

The wire could be bad stock hence being so cheap.
    Never heard of that manufacturer.

You need to pull not push. 20mm stick out. Make sure your tension isn't too much. 21lpm of 80/20 is the norm.
    I wouldn't be wasting my money personally.

You cant weld anything proper without the Certs. Also In some cases it's not recommended to weld standard structural steel with a consumable with nickel content.

9. Glensman Member

Tried a few beads this evening.
    Pull, fairly steep torch angle, 20lpm.

Got some pretty nice beads, slag just falls off with the slightest touch.

With practice I think I could get it pretty good, was playing a bit with voltage, wirefeed and travel speed...

• IMG_20170921_192529.jpg
  10. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

24-26v with about 8.5m/min is a good starting point. A 1.2mm dual shield wire should go into spray around about 180A on 80/20

11. Glensman Member

I don't think my mix is anything like 80/20 maybe more 90/10. It's from Air Products, not BOC.
    My machine has steps and Synergic wire feed. Works fantastic for 1mm steel wire. An absolute fool could get a good weld out of it, but you can't dial in settings like the boyos on YouTube...

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

What machine is it? If it has a synergic line see if it has one for FCAW 80/20. I very much doub't 90/10 is going to have the required CO2 content to get the wire to spray properly.

13. Glensman Member

Its the Gys MonoGys 250.
    It doesn't seem to have any setting for flux core...

14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You need to take the machine out of synergic mode then mate. Looking at the fact sheet it only has programs for Stainless, Aluminium and ER70 Solid Wires.
    In the manual its looks like you click the wire type button until the manual light comes on, then just set your wirefeed and volts using the standard controls.

15. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I didn't realise anyone was still producing welders without an amps or volts readout on them. Bit pants really.

16. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

You need more volts that is way too cold start at 24v dial wire in to get slight background crackle noise
    It welds well in any position drop the wire speed when capping uphill which is pushed of course
    To get more metal in deep v preps and large fillets you can drag and manipulate as you would an electrode but watch you dont lose the gas shield pushing good for capping as less metal with better tie in at toes

Brad93 and backpurge like this.
  17. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

3 runs uphill fluxcore and argoshield heavy around 23 v and 7.4 ms on the climb bit higher on ist pass 20170927_152217.jpg

18. Glensman Member

Thanks Zeppelin.
    I switched back to Hardwire for a couple of recent projects.
    I'm making a shop press out of C-channel this week and I might give the flux core another blast for the heavier stuff

Advertisements