Flux cored issue

1. Iva hardy Member

Hi, firstly i have a couple of hours under my belt at my mates unit doing bits of welding practice on his machine. Its a " proper" job solid wire gas shield etc and i can lay what he says is a half decent bead, uniform neat not to high etc . Got myself a wolf 140 gas/ gasless mig to progress at home and got myself some argon/co2 gas. I had a play this evening using the supplied flux core wire as i thought may as well use that up before using the gas up ( im tight ). Anyhow the beads i have run all seem quite flat and even holding for longer than i thought i should just spreads the bead and doesnt make it any prouder . I have tried upping the wire speed to the point of it hitting the work piece , tried lowering/ upping power etc. Also on my mates set i can clearly see a weld pool, today i have found ot difficult to see a decent pool, just looks like slag building up straight away .. sorry for the long winded post, i was wondering if when i try with solid wire and gas the results would be different as in would it be " cleaner" looking as im actially welding ie would a pool be more apparent and would laying enough steel to get a decent bead height be easier OR is it simply me ? . 0.8 wire btw ..

2. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

I had a wolf mig welder but it wasn't gas/gasless Just gasless and to be honest it was crap the best part about the experience with the wolf mig was getting rid of it

3. Are you dragging the wire as opposed to pushing it like you would have been doing on your mates solid wire set up

4. Iva hardy Member

Yes im dragging it , i dragged it with the gas set up also as i found it easier to see what was going on.. i will have another play tmoz and take some pics .. i cant see using gas alone would make the beads stand prouder but maybe the flux core being less steel for a same given diameter and length as solid may do simply because its hollow and flux cored but i could be wrong plus i would think slowing down or more wire speed would compensate but i dont know.. i had no help setting my mates up he left me to it and i got it set on scrap bits of metal before having my " proper" goes..

5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Have you changed the polarity to DCEN?

6. Iva hardy Member

Yes. Think the " issue" is i have been practicing on my mates set, solid wire/ gas etc and i think he is on 1mm wire. When he was showing me the basics it was easy to put too much steel down etc to show me too much steel etc. My set is 0.8 flux core and told ( which makes sence) 1mm or even 0.8 solid will lay more steel down than flux core 0.8 so i think this us the " issue" if thats the case mystery solved. I was trying to lay too much down just getting a feel for the set etc and the settings but just seemedto strughle to get a bead someone would say is too high , even slowing right down just spreads it as apposed to building any height.

Advertisements