Floor to sill - Inspiration needed!

1. bengyb Member

So I've started to look at repairing a rusted sill on the wife's Berlingo.

I've cut away all the rust and I'm back to fresh metal. (Sorry, due to miserable weather!)

The problem I have is the rust extended down the sill and on to the floor, which means I need to fabricate a plate for the floor, with a lip down for the inner and out sill to attach to.

Also this is all right next to the jacking point.

This is the first sill repair I've taken on, so I'm looking for any photos anyone has of similar work to give me motivation / inspiration / confidence!

Doesn't have to be Citroën, I'll happily look at anything. (so long as it's a car!)

2. hotponyshoes Member

bengyb likes this.
  3. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

A picture is worth a thousand words .

If you search the forum for ‘rusty sill’ , I’m sure there will be a plethora of info on repairs sills on diff vehicles .

Showing us what your doing and how your planning helps to ;)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Did someone say rusty sills!!!....I had the same on my nissan figaro project. There are no panels available for the figaro for things like inner sills and floor...on the figaro the floor has various shapes and pressings etc. What I did was to form a flat sheet of steel and let it into the floor and fully weld it in....then I formed the lip by clamping a piece of wood to the remaining sill and just knowing it over. I had pretty much the whole floor to sill joint to repair and this was much quicker I think....did it in sections and worked my way along the floor.

Hopefully this will link to the page I'm talking about
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/project-2-nissan-figaro.74791/page-15

bengyb and HopefullySoon like this.
  5. bengyb Member

I will post some photos, just need this crappy weather to disappear! :(

HopefullySoon likes this.
  6. bengyb Member

That is exactly what I'm after!

That looked like a mission of a job!!

7. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Yea it's getting there....I'm on to paint and refit....but got busy with work for the last few months so just getting back to it. I found it easier to repair sections at a time so you keep some reference points...if the floor has pressed shapes in it I think its a lot easier to do it this way as you'll be shaping and welding a flat sheet of steel....then you can put the flange where you need it. On the Figaro the shaping runs along the flange joint too....having it all welded in keeps it all in place while you bash the flange in.

I was doing the full length of both sills and floors so decided to brace the car...the Figaro is structurally weak (half a roof!)

Good luck with it....and of course post some pics too :-)

Advertisements