Flap Wheels

1. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

What are those flap wheels called that have alternating scotch pad material and an abrasive paper

And where can I get them?

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Klingspor do them... so any klingspor dealer should be able to land you some...
    We call them combination pads at work.
    Some people call them interleaved discs.... Klingspor SMT850 are the ones we tend to use.

Parm likes this.
  3. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

Thanks Hitch

Now that I know what to look for I’ve found this, it’s perfect for what I need it for.

E82F6382-A590-4D63-888B-14F909CA226D.jpeg

Will be making an arbour for it so I can use it in the wood turning lathe as it has adjustable speed, an angle grinder will be too quick.

This is what I had before

BC3CD1CE-63D4-4436-B9C3-49297D29D395.jpeg

4. stuvy Member

Erm flap wheels

5. Hitch

Somerset
    What are you trying to do with them? We use them in angle grindrs for finishing stainless.

6. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

I want to clean up a couple of small stainless steel parts and hopefully get a nice finish so eventually I can mirror polish

7. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Those cheap Lidl/Aldi angle grinders are adjustable speed, if they would do you job OK.

Parm likes this.
  8. stuvy Member

@Parm depending on what I was sanding a fresh mig weld 40grit flap disc then to higher grades and mops/cutting compound too

You also need to know how to use a grinder. If you need a hand just shout

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  9. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

Cheers fella, I’ve got polishing mops and compound etc. I’m reasonably handy

10. Hitch

Somerset
    I fear your woodturning lathe may be too slow Parm, what does it top out at, 3000rpm? The discs are designed to run on a grinder.
    Most important thing will be to work through the grades, then on to conditioning pads and so on.

Parm and brightspark like this.
  11. stuvy Member

Will take a picture of something I used a flap disc on Monday. It’s steel but looks like brushed aluminium

12. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

I think you might find a flap disc too harsh. An alternative would be a poly strip wheel. These can be used with full face contact on the material and give a much better surface finish. I use them for the top side of plasma cut steels just to remove the slight burr round the cut.

13. Turbo Member

I buy the round velcro scotch pads when they are in lidl & use them on a backing pad on an adjustable speed grinder. They are in sets of 80, 180 & 400 grit & using them in sequence leaves a really nice grained finish. Just try & avoid sherp edges, it destroys them!

14. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

ive used the type in picture 2 fitted to the chuck in the word turning lathe. Its worked very well for starting the polishing process prior to mop and compound, also used in the wood lathe

Advertisements