First welds

1. irn_bru_ce New Member

Signed up to some evening classes at the local college, last week was just paperwork, this week got to strike an arc

So never welded before, so just getting to grips with the machine really. Here are a couple of photos of my work

IMG_20190910_204944.jpg
    So ignore the lap joint, I was just using the flat section of steel below it. Starting on top right with a smooth weld, then another 2 smooth welds along beside it, then a coupe of runs of small zig zags without a pause at the points. Then a couple runs or loops. Finally 2 rows of zig zags with a longer pause and bit wider with final weld, probably too wide. That was done on a bit of 6mm steel

So with the final weld on that sheet a bit wide and flat, chose to put the welder up 1 click of voltage, and do smaller loops, as they seemed to make the best looking beads so far

IMG_20190910_204952.jpg

So again, started on top right with a leftward push, first run was smooth and quite fast just to get something down to line the 2nd weld against, top edge of this 8mm steel was just cut with a torch. 2nd run was just small loops again, weld appeared a nice width. 3rd weld was a bit of a different noise, and felt like wire was hitting back of pool, so turned the wire speed down half a digit, 4th weld sounded even more different and sounded like machine was struggling to keep up, and about an inch from the left the arc stopped and realised the wire had welded to the tip, cue about 30mins and running fresh wire through the gun 3 times. Didnt initially realise why the welding wasnt as smooth, but when i put the feed rate higher everything was going well again. so bottom 2 runs on the flat are with the same setting. Thet both looked nice and straight so thought i'd try a T weld the 8mm down onto a bit of 5mm, managed the first 2 inches but then time was up, but i'm quite impressed with the weld considering its my first lesson with the welder.

jsf55 likes this.
  2. Turbo Member

Your efforts look ok but why are you swapping between straight runs zig-zags & joints? Is your tutor telling you to do that? If so he's not a good teacher. You are trying to run before you can walk.

The first lesson is usually to weld a bead pad (google it) which is straight overlapping runs on a piece of plate until you can weld a straight & even run every time. You can also move the wire speed & voltage settings on the welder to see how they affect the weld. If it's not welding nicely or sounds wrong ask the tutor, now is the time to make use of his (assumed) years of knowledge, not when you are in your garage, banging your head wondering why your welds are bad.

Once you can do a consistent bead then you move onto joints, starting with a lap joint. It's a good idea to test your welded joints with a hammer, a mig welder can lay a lovely looking bead but it can fail due to poor penetration. The whole secret is learning the welder & how to set it up. After all, a robot can mig weld once the welder is set up properly! ;)

There's a good tutorial on here that will give you some guidance, it sounds like your tutor isn't giving you any! :vsad:
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/mig.htm

Munkul and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard :waving: Like the choice of user-name! :thumbup:

Advertisements