First Welding Project - Walnut Dining Table

1. JungleJim New Member

Hi all,
    I bought a welder after doing an evening course in MIG and here is my first proper project. Made some metal legs for walnut dining table Was planning on grinding the welds flat but decided to keep them as they were. I'm really pleased with how they turned out. I wiped the legs down with acetone and sprayed with a clear matt lacquer. I also made little walnut caps for the feet, so they don't mark the floor.
    Cheers
    J
    IMG_20180826_115237.jpg IMG_20180826_115259.jpg IMG_20180826_115552.jpg IMG_20181011_183303.jpg IMG_20181011_183535.jpg IMG_20181011_183247.jpg

2. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

I like the table but wonder, If the legs are screwed on using shortish wood screws there would be a heck of a lot of leverage if anyone lent against the end of the table.

BarrieJ, Stingray and premmington like this.
  3. Stingray Member

Even if you put a single crossmember between the two sets of legs below the wood it may help and you would not see it but a nice job for someone just getting into metal work, there is no stopping you now...:clapping:

dcocks likes this.
  4. premmington

premmington Member

Pleasing thing to look at - angles look right - edge of table top - angle of legs!

It would need - as suggested - a bit of bracing underneath for my household.

5. KaneH Member

United Kingdom
    Tidy looking kitchen units you’ve got in your shed/garage Jim!

Table looks smart, top job :thumbup:

6. daedalusminos Member

I agree with previous comments, I would weld 2 pairs of spreader plate per leg assembly. You could make these from your box section cut longitudinally to produce shallow "U" spreaders. 5" long spreaders would give you something like 8" between centres and still maintain the minimalist look since they'd be hidden.

7. JungleJim New Member

Cheers Guys,
    I screwed and glued threaded inserts into the underside of the table and attached using M8 bolts. feels pretty sturdy, but putting some additional bracing was something I was considering.

IMG_20180901_160941.jpg

8. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

BarrieJ, JungleJim and Stingray like this.
  9. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    That looks great - well done!

JungleJim likes this.
  10. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Very nice work, did you make the top yourself?

JungleJim likes this.
  11. clift_d

clift_d Member

I would definitely weld another tubular section between the centres of the two top tubes to stiffen up the legs, otherwise I'm afraid that the leverage on those insert fixings, from somebody pushing on the end of the table for example, will easily be enough to pull them out.

Great finish though.

JungleJim likes this.
  12. JungleJim New Member

Sorry, just seen this. Yes, made the top myself. I get my hardwood from a place in Brentwood called the hardwood offcut shop. Perfect for a hobbyist like me who doesn't buy that much. He had a pallet of walnut shorts in that were perfect for table tops

Advertisements