First Weld, What Went Wrong

1. Fredjohn771 New Member

Hi
    This is my first attempt at welding, can someone please advise what I've done wrong. I'm using 1.2m mild steel with 0.6m wire. I have tried low wire speed and low heat and made various changes but still I can't get it to weld correctly.
    thanks
    Fred

• 20200621_155934.jpg
    • 20200621_155947.jpg
  2. James1979 Member

Can you post a picture of the machine settings please? Looks like it may be wire feed too low. It should be running in to the weld pool, and making a noise which sounds a bit like frying bacon

I learnt a long time ago on arc (all we had) and you get a feel of how fast you need to feed the rod in. Its the same kind of theory if you are used to that?

Fredjohn771 likes this.
  3. tom2207 Member

its a fair start ,,, more heat needed though ,, remember its a start ,, no matter if you burn through ... wire feed is fine , more power ,,,
    Is that stainless by chance ,, ??

James1979 likes this.
  4. Fredjohn771 New Member

It was advertised as 1.2mm thick mild steel sheet from The Metal Store

5. tom2207 Member

ok , no prob , just the brown stain was leading me that way ,,, what gas / wire are you using

6. Fredjohn771 New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    The wire speed doesn't have numbers on the welder only white marks, I have it set at 3 and I think it goes up to 9, the amp or heat is set at 2 and this goes up to 5. Its a Wolf MIG 140

7. tom2207 Member

its plain wire and a bottle of universal gas ?
    try turning the power up some , and move slower to let a puddle form ,

Fredjohn771 likes this.
  8. Fredjohn771 New Member

I'm not using the gas, I'm using a Mild Steel Mig Wire Welding Spool Reel 0.6mm 0.7kg, maybe I should start using the gas, the welder is a
    Wolf MIG 140 Welder Gas/No Gas Combination Turbo, Smooth DC + Accessory Kit, Gas Bottle & Wheels

9. Fredjohn771 New Member

I'm not using the gas, maybe I should start. The welder I'm using is a Wolf MIG 140 Welder Gas/No Gas Combination Turbo, Smooth DC + Accessory Kit, Gas Bottle & Wheels

10. tom2207 Member

are you using gas less wire , ie flux core ? and have you the polarity correct , as in the manual settings for flux core wire

11. Fredjohn771 New Member

I was using 0.9m flux core that came with the welder, but I bought some 0.6m and I don't think it is gas less now that I think about it. I will try the gas and buy more wire. Yes I have changed the polarity so confident that is correct

12. Arclikeharrypotter Member

You're using solid core wire without gas that's your problem. Needs gas.

13. tom2207 Member

Right ,,, you need to make up your mind , personally I dont ever use flux core for anything , Id rather stick weld , and do ,, so if your using solid core wire you need a shield gas ,, set the machine up to suit , there will be a diagram in the manual .and give it another go you will get a lot different result ,, at least we now have the problem discovered ,,, and nearly sorted.

14. Fredjohn771 New Member

Great thanks for all your advise, appreciate it

James1979 and tom2207 like this.
  15. Fredjohn771 New Member

Thanks for your advise, I'll get the gas on it tomorrow

James1979 likes this.
Advertisements