First time

1. Sonic4 New Member

Hi All,

I am interested in learning to weld in perticully automotive welding. I first need buy a welder I don't have a huge amount of money to spend on equipment first time round may upgrade if I am any good at it.i have looked a toolstation screwfix machine mart but don't know what I'm looking at.

Have help or suggestions on what I should buy would be a great help.

Thanks Dave

2. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Welcome Dave, You have come to the right place,

3. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Welcome Dave. If you’re on a budget then look at used equipment. For thin material you d t need to worry about maximum amps but lower output and control. Avoid disposable bottles and go for hobby gas bottle type with Argon/CO2. Keep an eye in the for sale section.

Sonic4 and gaz1 like this.
  4. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

welcome dave

plenty of scotish members on the forums

im going to link to a post for you ive been down the same road with my first mig welder so you will find im honest and blunt with what i post

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/which-welder.92380/#post-1360585

to note it also depends on the thickness your welding as well the clarke 151 is up to 0.8mm/5mm

automotive welding is one of the hardest to do as its usually less metal than frame building from new

Sonic4 likes this.
  5. Sonic4 New Member

Thanks for the info will steer clear of ebay i will have a look at machine mart.

More questions shortly

6. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Welcome Dave
    The big question is "whats your budget"?
    Factor in things(as mentioned) gas,mask,gloves. Tools,ie grinder,clamps,i could go on,the list never ends

Sonic4 likes this.
  7. Bbe555 Member

Yep second this as it NEVER ends

Sonic4 likes this.
  8. Sonic4 New Member

I have around £260 in mind I have a grinders etc need mask looking at sip auto tint from tool station or the Clarke one from machine mart. I has looking gas/no gas mig in machine it was 210 + 45 for the mask + 8 for gloves. So just just over the £260 I would rather not spent £260 but it seemed a reasonable starting point.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/010110125/

Cheers Dave

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

The Clarke machines enjoy quite a good reputation for beginners.

Wallace likes this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

If you get a mm voucher off forum you can get a 151 blue for 220

Wallace likes this.
  11. Sonic4 New Member

I have had a hunt about I can't find the mm voucher can you point me in the right direction please.

12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Afaik, MM send them out to previous customers [although I never got one :(] - they crop up on here from time to time, when Members get one they won't use themselves.

13. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

That is correct SBF. I've had quite a few although I've not yet bought anything sizable. Maybe they're trying to tempt me into an expensive purchase :laughing:. I always offer them on here.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. Sonic4 New Member

Will anyone be will to offer me a code they will not use I would be most grateful. I did sign up MM newsletter hoping the may send me one but they didn't.

15. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

brother just got a book from them will see if theres a voucher in there but will have to wait till post is open for that check

Sonic4 likes this.
  16. Sonic4 New Member

I request a catalogue for the same reason. Lol

Advertisements